cleanin'

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
Woot :eek: No doubt, many people here have read my posts concerning my "hot blooded" PNY 8800GT 512 . Welp :mad:, it finally came to a head this morning while crunching a 5758 WU.. Running stock everything except the fan being manually set to 100% I was getting 60c to 61c freaking degrees (100% core #3 for GPU2 and 100% cores #0, #1, #2 for WCG :(

I know GPU's run hotter than a CPU, but 60c + degrees was just outa' my confort zone. I had plans to get an after market air cooler (like the ACCELS1 Rev 2 and some big a$$ fans) or maybe just break the bank and go with an expensive vga WB :rolleyes: (the Q6600 it's in is WC'ed)

To make a long story short I took the 8800GT apart (jewlers screws on the cowling, man, I hate those little screws :() I blew the dust bunnies and cat hairs out, cleaned the nVIDIA chip and mem pads with 70% isopropyl alcohol, put it back together using MX-2 thermal compound and now it crunches at about 49c degrees (rocks between 49c and 50c, mostly 49c)

If the 8800GT stays approximately the same temp (under 54c degrees) I just saved myself the expense and hassle of multi fans, running extra tubes, leak checking a WB, etc.

I did the same thing to a eVGA 8800GS I had layin' around and when I get the energy I'll give it a go with to my "dual slot" eVGA 9600GSO (it runs cool, but maybe it'll run cooler :p). Who knows, I've always replaced the thermal compound on my mobo chips and heat sinks. I love active cooling so I've installed many 40MM fanns on passive north and south bridge heat sinks, moffet coolers, etc. so maybe putting better thermal compound on the cards helps :confused:

Edit: I'm probably just "spinin' my wheels" and this is not necessary, but it gives a "heat challenged" computer jock like me a "little peace of mind" :p

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

Honestly 60c is hardly anything for a GPU your still well under the danger zone there.

I need to check the temps on my 3x 9800GX2 box. It runs a bit warm.

Anyone taken apart a 9800GX2?

I wouldn't worry about a G92-based card unless it was hitting 100C, but to each his own. It was well within safe temperatures though.

80 degrees C plus and then I am getting worried but the nvidia cards I have seem to have
no problems maintaining well under that, knock on wood.:D

im going to have to agree with everyone else here,, these new video cards can stand some etxreme heat.. mine runs 60-67C 24/7.. fan @80% with a wicked overclock..
60C-low70's isnt anything to worry about 85C or higher, and you might want to keep an eye on it.
they claim Nvidia cards are safe up to 100C.

Before anyone gets their "shorts in a twist" I stated above that I realized GPU's ran hotter than CPU's. (although as someone previously posted nVIDIA's newer chips were good to 100c degrees :eek:)

I know that my reacting to a temps of 60c or 61c may have been a little on the extreme side, but that's what experimenting with pushing your hardware above it's specs is all about as I understand it :rolleyes:. I'm aware the temps were within nVIDIA's specs. :ATM my PNY 8800GT 512 is crunching at 51c degrees (vs say 60c or 61c degrees), has a shader OC' of 1800 and a stock fan set of 100%, I also switched out my eVGA 9600GSO for a "cleaned" eVGA 8800GS and it's getting 48c degrees with a shader OC' of 1600 and a stock fan set of 80%. (my ambient temps are 21c to 24c degrees) I just know I have better "peace of mind" :p

The way I pragmatically looked at it was "to each his/her own" and it ain't really anybody's business but their own :D

Edit: As a the poster below said his/her card was doing 103c degrees. I never said a card couldn't survive the abuse of overheating I just don't want to test it. :rolleyes:From my understanding the problem with overheating electronics or running it way out of spec is it may be a while before it fubars (breaks). I harken back to some posts I read on this fine forum where one day a CPU OC's and the next day it doesn't. hmmm..., :confused: I've always understood overheating or running an electronic componet out of spec resulted in a shortened the life span. While I agree it might not break before you upgrade I ain't taking the chance :eek: Besides "if it's broke it's hard to sell, even on fleabay" .:)

'nough said, I'm gonna' try and keep my computer and computer componets as cool and clean as I can. I'm not rich enough to see what the limit of a componet is ;)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

My GTX260 regularly hits 65-70c depending on room temp. I pulled a bit of a silly a few days ago when I forgot to turn the fanspeed up. It folded for a good 2-3 hours before I realized that the pulsing sound I was hearing was coming from the fan on the card periddically spinning faster, then back down to stock. The GPU was at 103c. It never stopped folding though.

Nice job on the cleanup JW.

While a GPU does reliably run hotter than a CPU normally does, I agree that cooler is always better and certainly well worth the time and effort it took to clean the heatsink/fan assemblies and replace the stock tim. Just replacing the stock tim with good aftermarket material alone is worth the time.

The cooler they run the more headroom they have and the less likely they are to EUE without having them OC'd to the limit.

Back