Clean Your Damn Console!

Maybe he wiped off the outside. If he can't see the filthy inside, there's no problem. :p

But for the inside I'll go with moisture and excessive dust (see: dog) causing it to collect.

I know it's just a console but damn, how do you let your stuff get like this?
Because it's a console? Not really meant to be opened and serviced by the end user. I dunno I don't have a PS3, I figured all consoles that need active air cooling eventually get like this

W.T.F.? :eek:

That is by far the dirtiest piece of electronics I have ever seen...

I live near a coke plant.. I bet my old PS2 looks like that. I get about 15 times the normal amount of dust here. And it's fine, gritty and gross, it's like somebody coming into my apartment and throwing the contents of an ash tray in the air every morning.

Came out of this guys house:

i-19cb4edc373d7427d55a86071c9694d6-fat-blogger.jpg

My servers are in the open air basement, and they don't even get that bad despite the dust that collects on the front, which I have to vacuum every now and then. Been a while since I turned one of them off though but the few times I did, when I looked inside it was just average dusty.

That's smoke, if it was pet hair you would see excessive hair build up in small spots.

I've smoked around my computer for a year prior to cleaning and it wasn't this bad. Cleaning is a bit harsh as smoke tends to stick together and attach itself to crevices like a fan grill or rivet. Either way I stopped doing it after the first cleaning (canned air won't work very well).

I've cleaned computers that were in a pet environment and chain smokers. You could pull off the build up like a blanket.

I purchased a "premium refurbished" console from Gamestop a year or two ago and it wasn't quite this bad but it was a contender nonetheless.

Mine probably looks like that on the inside. I been wanting to crack it open and spray the dust out. I did spray compressed air into all the vent holes though....probably did not do much.

That's smoke, if it was pet hair you would see excessive hair build up in small spots.

Lol, funny you mention smoke. I bought a 560ti a long time ago from a smoker. Reason I could tell was the "build up" in the heatsink and that damn board smelled horrible!

Looks like the computer a nephew dropped off for me to repair. Him and his wife are chain smokers. After cleaning the motherboard a little, it looked like someone poured acid on it. Every trace on it was corroded. I couldn't work enough magic to make it work. Well honestly it looked like too much work.

As stated it all comes down to the environment it's in. I cracked my PS3 open to take a look a few years ago and there wasn't a speck of dust in it. It's an original that has the big, slow moving fan so there isn't a huge amount of airflow to bring in dust.

Where ever that PS3 came from, they need to vacuum their place -- regularly. That thing was probably sitting on the floor.

+2 I recognize the look. The tar coats everything, dust sticks to tar, the tar coats the dust, more dust sticks, more tar, repeat until it clogs the fans.

I started either refusing or charging extra to work on a smokers PC. Turning it on will make my entire house start to get that smell and old tar smoke is terrible. Too many times having to wash heatsinks and scrape shit off the case and brush clean pcbs. Yea, no thanks. Pet hair and dust is much easier to deal with.

Almost every repair I do of a laptop or console looks like this. Nobody apparently thinks that you need to dust these things out at all.

What is that self cleaning trick for these ? I think its holding the eject button while powered down and unplugged for a few seconds then plug it back while still holding it and the fan blows at max speed for 30 seconds. I know I did it a few years ago and it did blow a bunch of dust bunnies out. Obviously this ones to far gone but it may help others.

Smokers... and to think, this is what goes into their lungs.

Plus, Sony products from my past experience, have THE worst air flow design. I keep my place nice and tidy and even still, my old Sony desktop tower would get filthy around its vent holes. The PS1 had overheating issues that caused the lens to warp. You had to flip the PS1 upside down for it to read discs. The PS2 had similar issues with airflow and it just trapped in dust. The laser stopped reading discs after a while. PS3? It's a dust magnet as well.

Seriously pics just made me sick. Whoever is the owner of this thing certainly used it as a vacuum cleaner not as a gaming device. Unfortunately they don't sell replaceable dirt bags for PS3 model...

Back