Clean install from second computer?

conscript

2[H]4U
Maybe a silly question, but I'm waiting for some parts to build a new rig for a family member. I have the hard drive and OS already, and was wondering if there's any reason I couldn't hook up the new hardrive as a secondary drive and pre-install vista on my current computer and then just swap the HD to the new computer when the parts arrive? (I wouldn't install any drivers or anything, just the straight Vista install).

Just want to make sure that nothing installs itself in the vista install that would be computer specific like chipset drivers.

Thanks!

i believe chip set drivers and all that get loaded up, but when vista boots on the new hardware, as long as its not activated, i would suspect it would detect the new hardware and adjust it's default drivers where needed.

I mean the worst that can happen is it doesn't work, but then when you find that out you'll have the hardware and can just do the clean install :)

that's true, guess there's no risk in trying one way or the other since I've got the time and the rest of the parts won't be here until tomorrow.

Back