Clean Case Recommendation for SLI I7 Build

BDX

n00b
Guys I need a recommendation for a straight up case that is capable of handling air cooling for a moderate OC I7 build using dual GTX 2xx boards (proabably 260's 270's or 280's). The power supply is a Corsair HX850 and I dont know which motherboard I'm using yet. Case budget is $225 max (200 or less preferably) (overall build budget ~2,500)

The wish list? Removeable tray, hole to access CPU backplate on the MB, filters on fans (preferably), good cables mangement aspects, and a decent clean look...I am not into Darth Vader looking cases ;)

I wanted a CM ACTS 840 initially for this build but its just too big for the 23" wide counter my ANTEC P180 sits on. The floor is out of the question due to space issues. I really wouldnt care if the 840's front exteneded past the edge of the desktop but I cant be having the front feet of the case off the edge.

Thanks

George

Last edited:
Considering my computer is pretty identical to what you are planning on getting let me help you out.

In terms of the Antec 1200 -

Removable Tray - No
Hole to access CPU backplate on the MB - No
Filters on Fans - Yes, and working very well I might add. Also very easy to remove for quick cleaning.
Good Cable Management - Yes. Every cable can be snuck behind the panel that the motherboard is mounted to and come out from that back side right next to where it plugs into the motherboard.
Decent Clean Look - I believe so, but it just a matter of opinion.

Some suggestions if you go 280 SLI. I cant believe I made this mistake, but whatever you do, make sure the MB you buy supports 16/16/16 PCI-E slots, therefore allowing you to have some free space inbetween the two cards which will help temperatures alot, even in a well ventilated case like the Antec 1200. I should have spend the extra 50$ and upgraded to the P6T Deluxe or Deluxe V2.

Any of the new Coolermaster case lineup have the heatsink hole, great cable routing, and adequate room for SLI and a large air cooler. I was recently checking out the CM Sniper even though it looks kind of weird.

Wow! that PC-P50 Armorsuit looks sweet!

Sadly, I just bought a CM Storm Sniper... which I want to mod for a Water-Cooling setup. Perhaps I shall try to sell it and get the Lian Li instead.

If you wanna save more... or wait... Corsair 800D looks sweet in pretty much every aspect... just no ETA on release and $300 retail expected

I was going to suggest the PC-P50, but it looks like a few may have beaten me to the punch!

Also worth considering... they dont make this one anymore, but its still a great deal and a winner...
http://www.silverpcs.com/product_info.php?products_id=109&osCsid=675c7235f590435572e7203a99a6edd3
^^^ The 767 was a much more expensive case, and is built much better too (more like the heavy plates on the V series than most of the current cases). Its got a front door, but its also a stacker style BTX case. While it might not be ideal AS IS, you can stack 120's in those front bays to have tons of airflow and make it a positive pressure case... always a plus with multi-GPU setups. It may not have the open hole on the backside of the CPU, but thats what a hole saw or dremel is for anyways. The stacker style comes in handy for water cooling as well... rez, pump, rad... all easily tucked away in the front. Its not a current offering, but it was, and still is, a great case... and for a steal now as well.

You might also consider the A17. MIGHT. Im not going to say its better than the P50, but it was dropped when the P50 came out since they are so similar. The P50 is a new little brother to the P60/80's which IMO are ugly as hell. I like the P50 much better in comparison, and I would take it over the P60/80 in a heartbeat, but I would still take the A17 over the P50. The A17, although similar, is styled to be like a smaller A77, so IMO, its less ugly (I have the A77). The P50 isnt bad looking, but if I wanted that sort of look, I would just get an Antec, you know?... nine hundred two or a twelve hundred. The A17 is a little less $$$ as well since its no longer current.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112164

I really like the antec-cases, P183 or P193 is sweet. Built a few i7 systems with those at work. Silent and cool with Zalman 9900 cooler.

going through this right now as I decided to do 260 sli on my I7 -

Previously in an antec 300 case (which was a tight fit) I got the Coolermaster ATSC 840 due to numerous reviews saying it was the wet dream of cases. Not so much.

Pluses -

Removable mobo tray
Cut out for CPU back Plate
Tons of space (power supply can be mounted bottom or top)
black or silver brushed aluminum looks (like high end audio)
easy to install HDD trays mounted perpendicular to the mobo
Easy to route cables behind mobo

Minuses -

TOLERANCES - BAD

The io plate from my Asus P6T just does not snap in the space...It does on my antec, and my other CM 690 I tested it on to be sure I was not insane. I got it most of the way in and in the process gashed my finger (it's not a pc till you bleed in it).I mounted the motherboard hoping it would snap the rest of the way in but no go. The most unforgivable though is the 5 1/4 drive bay. I can't get the dvd rom drive in. It is too small of an opening. No matter what I do I cannot get it in there. I have gone as far as to remove the front cover (that requires a torx screwdriver) and nada. It just is not big enough. I tried three different drives.

The pop up connection bay for USB, Esata, mic and headphones - is iffy at best. Sometimes it pops up, some times it does not.

The side panels are FILMSY. Like 20 dollar case flimsy. I am going to take it back and either get a p193 or a cosmos...

I mean come on 200 bucks for a case and I can't get a DVD drive in it?

going through this right now as I decided to do 260 sli on my I7 -

Previously in an antec 300 case (which was a tight fit) I got the Coolermaster ATSC 840 due to numerous reviews saying it was the wet dream of cases. Not so much.

Pluses -

Removable mobo tray
Cut out for CPU back Plate
Tons of space (power supply can be mounted bottom or top)
black or silver brushed aluminum looks (like high end audio)
easy to install HDD trays mounted perpendicular to the mobo
Easy to route cables behind mobo

Minuses -

TOLERANCES - BAD

The io plate from my Asus P6T just does not snap in the space...It does on my antec, and my other CM 690 I tested it on to be sure I was not insane. I got it most of the way in and in the process gashed my finger (it's not a pc till you bleed in it).I mounted the motherboard hoping it would snap the rest of the way in but no go. The most unforgivable though is the 5 1/4 drive bay. I can't get the dvd rom drive in. It is too small of an opening. No matter what I do I cannot get it in there. I have gone as far as to remove the front cover (that requires a torx screwdriver) and nada. It just is not big enough. I tried three different drives.

The pop up connection bay for USB, Esata, mic and headphones - is iffy at best. Sometimes it pops up, some times it does not.

The side panels are FILMSY. Like 20 dollar case flimsy. I am going to take it back and either get a p193 or a cosmos...

I mean come on 200 bucks for a case and I can't get a DVD drive in it?

I'm sorry to say this groebuck, but I really think your ATCS 840 is a fluke... or it got dropped and is no longer "square". I saw your earlier thread. However, and I say this in all due respect, you seem to be the ONLY report I have ever heard of these issues. If I was in your position I would see what I could do to get the case Replaced.

meh I have seen a few reviews (legit) and reviews (egg) that talk about the io plate not going on and getting drives in the 5 1/4 as being tough.

From the pics over at bit-tech that case does not really impress me, that removable motherboard plate has the design of a cheap-o case (with that bent piece of metal that you screw in the cards with)... $200 for that? Nowai.

From the pics over at bit-tech that case does not really impress me, that removable motherboard plate has the design of a cheap-o case (with that bent piece of metal that you screw in the cards with)... $200 for that? Nowai.

The motherboard tray on the ATCS 840 is really a work of art and strong. I don't know of any other chassis with a better motherboard tray. I say this for two reasons, it has ball bearings on it, so when all your heavy hardware is in, it just slides very freely. The 2nd reason is it is so large the motherboard tray allows you to keep the CPU cooler attached.

What I dont like is the bottom PSU retainer, its thin.

Hey guys, I've been keeping abreast of this thread and wanted to say thank you for your advice, information and opinions. It has all been quite helpful. The Lian LI was a great suggestion and is in the top running although I have to say the ATCS regardless of alledged issues with moboard fits, is also still a top contender...I just wish they made a mid tower in the image of the 840!

Again thanks and please continue, it is all being absorbed!
George

Hey guys, I've been keeping abreast of this thread and wanted to say thank you for your advice, information and opinions. It has all been quite helpful. The Lian LI was a great suggestion and is in the top running although I have to say the ATCS regardless of alledged issues with moboard fits, is also still a top contender...I just wish they made a mid tower in the image of the 840!

Again thanks and please continue, it is all being absorbed!
George

For $239 you can get the Lian Li PC-A70B.

You can also get the PC-A71B for the same price. (The only difference is that it has a front door, which will make it quieter.)

Considering my computer is pretty identical to what you are planning on getting let me help you out.

In terms of the Antec 1200 -

Removable Tray - No
Hole to access CPU backplate on the MB - No
Filters on Fans - Yes, and working very well I might add. Also very easy to remove for quick cleaning.
Good Cable Management - Yes. Every cable can be snuck behind the panel that the motherboard is mounted to and come out from that back side right next to where it plugs into the motherboard.
Decent Clean Look - I believe so, but it just a matter of opinion.

Some suggestions if you go 280 SLI. I cant believe I made this mistake, but whatever you do, make sure the MB you buy supports 16/16/16 PCI-E slots, therefore allowing you to have some free space inbetween the two cards which will help temperatures alot, even in a well ventilated case like the Antec 1200. I should have spend the extra 50$ and upgraded to the P6T Deluxe or Deluxe V2.

Thank you, I currently own a P180 and love it for its compartmented design and its great filtration system. The PCP&C 750 Quad PSU is quite jammed in the box and required me to flop a PSU fan to the other side of that lower partitionthereby impacting the 3.5 drive connection space. It works but it is a bit cramped to work in. The new Corsair HX850 is modular and I dont expect those issues regardless of case choice.

A particualr concern (off topis a bit) is one you touched on briefly; the abilty of the MB to take two video cards of the GTX28x series and still allow for a soundcard or RAID card. Which board did you wish to upgrade from for 50$?

For $239 you can get the Lian Li PC-A70B.

You can also get the PC-A71B for the same price. (The only difference is that it has a front door, which will make it quieter.)

Very nice, I suppose i could take a job at Circle K for a few weeks to bump the budget ;) a bit...but seriously that price is not a deal breaker. Do both units have filtration in the fron fan intakes? The more I think about it the more I'm interested in using positive case pressure to aid in dust control. I'm not sure that the two internal fans in the LL's will achieve that.

Add positive case pressure abilties to the mix. I'm interested in over pressuring the case and using the top and back fans to vent excess heat at a flow rate slightly less than the input values.

THe more I look at these cases the more impressed I am with the design and quality of construction...now granted not every one of their cases impresses me but the Armor Suit, B70/71, A70/71 have features and designs that are quite nice...

Now pricing? Lol thats another matter! :D

I just did an i7 build in a PC-A70 and have been extremely happy with looks and functionality. Pleasure to work with, moves air pretty well, looks good on a desk, and isn't a bad buy for a Lian Li.

I don't have SLI (though I might need it after a recent monitor upgrade....) but there is plenty of room for it.

Very nice, I suppose i could take a job at Circle K for a few weeks to bump the budget ;) a bit...but seriously that price is not a deal breaker. Do both units have filtration in the fron fan intakes? The more I think about it the more I'm interested in using positive case pressure to aid in dust control. I'm not sure that the two internal fans in the LL's will achieve that.

Yes, both intake fans have dust filters.

im loving the PC-A70, but i wish the mobo was on the other side of the case, so the bottom fans were pointing straight on to the CPU area.. otherwise very nice case

Don't know if you have looked into either Cosmos case from Coolermaster. But you can get the Cosmos 1000 from Coolermaster refurbed for $120

I have the Cosmos 1000 and it is the last case I will ever buy!

If you wanna save more... or wait... Corsair 800D looks sweet in pretty much every aspect... just no ETA on release and $300 retail expected

If he's questioning whether or not he can fit the ATCS 840 on his desk I don't think the Corsair 800D should even be a thought because that thing is huge and since it's steel I bet it's heavy as a rock.

I bought an ATCS 840 here earlier this week and got it set up on my desk today next to my Antec 1200. It is noticeably bigger comparing the two with the ATCS 840 being around 4" longer. It's kind of the perfect size for a full tower case though so it's not TOO big. It's a great looking case, much better looking than the Antec 1200.

I do have a few gripes with it though that I've noticed already due to the construction quality in a few areas. The first is of course the relatively thin side panels as well as the hard drive trays the slide out are pretty cheap plastic in my opinion. The motherboard tray is really nice but they should of used thumb screws for it instead of regular screws. Cooler Master also didn't do a very good job at quality control because one of the four screws for the mobo tray wasn't drilled in straight so the screw won't screw in all the way and it ends up going in at an angle. And I haven't tried installing a DVD drive in it yet to see how tight the fight is for 5.25" bay devices.

Overall though I think it's the best case I've seen in the ~$200 range and it will look much sexier once powder coated and possibly a professional respray.

Thank you, I currently own a P180 and love it for its compartmented design and its great filtration system. The PCP&C 750 Quad PSU is quite jammed in the box...
P193 would have E-ATX depth, unlike other Antecs.
http://www.overclockersonline.net/?page=articles&num=2831&pnum=5
But otherwise it's still miditower (height/number of device bays) and that new door just doesn't have that clean style of P-serie.

Very nice, I suppose i could take a job at Circle K for a few weeks to bump the budget ;) a bit...but seriously that price is not a deal breaker. Do both units have filtration in the fron fan intakes?
A70/71 has intake filters... which can be accessed without opening both side panels and removing front fan like in chambered design A10/A20.

but the Armor Suit, B70/71, A70/71 have features and designs that are quite nice...
Now pricing? Lol thats another matter! :D
Armorsuit is plain bling bling version of A77 with senseless changes. B70/71 have noise leaking open front and in the end very little useful gimmick features rising price over original: A70/71 is really where you get most configurability... at cheapest price. :p

A71-kesken_s.jpg

dont get the 1200 if you plan to use the evga classified or an e-atx board, the cable management holes are block for the most part along the front, and i imagine if your going for a clean build, you'll want those

Back