Clean Audigy Drive Cable?

LOL, is it at all possible to cleanly route this damn ribbon cable? I'm new to modding, so I thought I would come to the pros. I've spent hours trying to figure out where I could cut a hole or route the ribbon cable from my Audigy ZS Platinum to the breakout box, but have had no luck. It's just short enough that I can't run it behind my mobo board. I'm using the new Lian Li PC-7 Plus case, a DFI NF4 DR Lanparty board, my Live!drive is in the lowest drive bay, and my Audigy card is in the bottom PCI slot. ANY help, or better yet, pictures of people who have been able to tame this beast would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm tempted to not even install the breakout box, but I use those front ports a lot (mostly the headphone jack). Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. I've checked all the "rate my cable" theads but haven't come across anybody using the drive. Maybe I missed something?

DO NOT use a rounded (or any, for that matter) IDE cable. It will burn out the sound card.

well.. you could make your ribon calbe round the same way people do IDE cables. just split it every five wires or so and then put them in some kind of sleeving

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but a sleeved cable would still hang down from the drive cages and would still be directly in front of my intake fan. I was hoping somebody was able to find a way to route it behind or out of the way of the rest of the components.

i had the same problem:
i spend an hour with an exacto knife and cut between every conductor. at the ends, i turned the pin header sideways so i could slide sleaving and heat shrink over it. it still works great... front headphone volume + firewire rock.

Mines not the best wiring job (it was my first try at it!), but here's my Praetorian with the same sound card and cable. I ran it under the motherboard and then it turns right and comes out under the black ide ribbon cables. You can see a small part of it if you look carefully.

large.jpg

and a front view (nothing inside the case except for the mobo and sound card when this pic was taken)

large.jpg

that case looks very nice. have youthought about using a fake bottem in the case

SarverSystems said:
DO NOT use a rounded (or any, for that matter) IDE cable. It will burn out the sound card.

mayube you should listen to Sarver before you run headlong into this.

This company offers audigy cable sleeving, but it's a little costly (to me at least).

SarverSystems said:
why dont they work? got a link for that happens to them

I have the live platinum with breakout box, kinda similar setup.

I have mine running behind the mobo all the way from the bottom pci slot to the top 5 1/4 slot in an antec p160.

I'll see if I can get some pics up of it. My camera needs new batteries but was too dark.
Have a pic from when I did some initial cablegami efforts...

Since this pic, I've sleeved the psu cables, rerouted them again, changed molex plug colors to black and added a support bar to the 6800gt.

I routed mine behind the drive cage when I still used it.

kinda like this:

livedrivecable9vl.png

a little bit of creative folding

SarverSystems said:

Hmm.... I used a rounded cable to connect my Audigy to the Live Drive, and I never had any problems.

Now, it is possible to connect a regular IDE cable (rounded or not) the wrong way on the connector, but if you are careful to make sure you aren't connecting things the wrong way, what's the danger?

I scrunched up the cable and covered it in chrome loom (that's what I'm doing with most of my power, ide cables, etc in my current system).
Then I was able to route the cable up the back side of my drive cage and into the box.

The audigy cable is proprietary. I burned out my Audigy drive twice using a rounded cable and was luckily able to get them RMA'ed. Finally figured it out!

ronenvelarde said:
The audigy cable is proprietary. I burned out my Audigy drive twice using a rounded cable and was luckily able to get them RMA'ed. Finally figured it out!
Not looking at the cable at the moment, but i don't recall any twists or anything. If you make sure the wire connected to pin 1 on the drive connects to pin 1 on the card then there should be nothing wrong. Nothing proprietary to it, you just plugged it in wrong.

...assuming there wasn't a twist or whatever.

Following redhalo's advice will burn your drive and/or livedrive.

It's been posted lots of times that a regular IDE cable will not work. That is why I posted right away to let you know.

SarverSystems said:
Following redhalo's advice will burn your drive and/or livedrive.

It's been posted lots of times that a regular IDE cable will not work. That is why I posted right away to let you know.
It also was posted that it did work. I very well may be wrong as I havn't tried this myself, but logic says it should work, whats your reasoning that it doesn't other than not making sure the pins line up correctly to the same wires?

redhalo said:
It also was posted that it did work. I very well may be wrong as I havn't tried this myself, but logic says it should work, whats your reasoning that it doesn't other than not making sure the pins line up correctly to the same wires?

Agreed, it's just a wire. If you get the pins lined up correctly how could it possibly burn the card and/or Live Drive out?

specialk12882 said:
I'm using the new Lian Li PC-7 Plus case, a DFI NF4 DR Lanparty board

Wow, I think that's the same setup I'm considering. (I assume you mean DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR :D ) Special, how do you like the PC-7 case for modding? Did you have any problems mounting the motherboard in the PC-7 Plus case, I've been worried it would be kind of tight for an SLI board.

LOL, Ok, funny story. I did a sweet job on all the cabling. I was able to run my Audigy cable under the motherboard and it came out perfectly at the bottom. When I went to turn it on, the rear case fan power cord shorts out and melts to my case/mobo, smoke everywhere. My computer hasn't worked after that lol. I must have accidently torn the casing on the fan cable running it to the back of the mobo tray. I don't know how, I had all my dremel cuts sanded down and then covered in electrical tape.

But, Grey Ghost, to answer your question, that case is sweet to mod. I made a hole up by the PSU to run cables out to the back, I cut a hole in the bottom drive cage to hide cables in and run the 24pin power cord out (it lined up perfectly with the header on the mobo), and I cut two holes in the mobo tray, one to run my case and CPU fan cables behind the mobo and out to the back, and one to run my audigy cable, front connectors, and SATA cables.

Back