CLASSIFIED Intel Quad Core i7 930@4420 MHz Extreme

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Is this legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLASSIFIED-Intel-Quad-Core-i7-930-4420-MHz-Extreme-/140414198802#ht_6314wt_1164

From the ebay auction:
Intel Core i7 @ 4420 MHz
Classified Extreme

The fastest, most powerful CPU yet. Experience the True Speed of Intel Quad Core i7.

L3 Cache 8MB - Socket LGA 1366 - 64 Bit - D0 - 45 nm
Core Speed 4420 MHz (211x21) @ 1.435v @ 77ºc Air-Cooled and loaded
Core Speed 4420 MHz (211X21) @ 1.435v @ 33ºc Air-Cooled Idle

This carefully selected i7 930 has been hand picked for

Extreme Overclocking

Explosive Firepower at your fingertips, for a fraction of the i7 975 cost!
Annihilation of the i7 975 Extreme with this Classified Intel i7 [email protected] GHz

i7 975, see you goodbye!

What batch is this?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why would you pay that price? You could easily take that up to 3.8-4.0 on air or more on water. Also it would vary depending on all your hardware too. I do not think it is legit in my opinion.

I would pay $300 less than that and grab one from MicroCenter. In my opinion, it isn't worth the extra money to buy an i7 that someone else got to 4.4ghz. Chances are your setup won't be the same and you might not want to put that much voltage to your chip. With 1.435 I bet a lot of batches could hit 4.4ghz.

It really depends. Is this with HT or not? I've seen similar adds where the benches show HT off. Yes you can do 4.4GHz with the 930, but typically with water. Given that they are using 1.435V temps should be higher than that. What do they mean with Aircooling? Maybe with they biggest heatsinks, loudest fans, outside a case and AC to 10C, biggest PSU and high end MB. ;) I'd also ask for a 24h Prime run and exact config specs. It's possible, but the devil is in the details. If you have a MC or Fry's near you, just buy one and try it out.

Possible.

I get 4.2ghz on my 920 D0 core....

Only my memory is holding me back.

So totally possible

The ad says it is a hand picked 930. The seller has a whole bunch of these on eBay. I doubt he has a secret palet of i7 confidential chips. I'd say creative marketing which is borderline deceptive (no outright lies but lots of suggestions that are YMMV).

More likely he has a store that he can return chips to (e.g. Fry's) or is a systems seller who doesn't have any scrupples of testing all the chips he sells for higher yielding chips. The former reminds me of my old comic days when our local shop would "allocate" or hold back subscribed books because they were hot and he could make an extra buck selling them in the after market. Hard to prove and given there is a market for it the only thing you can do is boycott them.

Buyer feedback is interesting. Lots of positive feedback. I do wonder how many buyers really reach 4.4GHz at those low temps. At $500 a pop he is making $300+ per chip. If someone complains just give them the money back and sell it to the next NFS junky.

$500, he's making a nice little mint out of this.
But if someone really wanted a cherry picked CPU for extreme OC'ing they could just buy a 1366 socket Xeon or an i7 950.

/facepalm

This is just a guy who buys a bunch of processors, overclocks one to 4.4 ghz to post, and takes a screenshot. Then he claims it's a special processor.

Since overclocking is done in bios, when you get that chip its going to be stock clocked. Just a creative con artist making money and it baffles me that anyone in this forum would be fooled by such a feeble attempt to mislead.

I wouldn't buy his shit simply because he did overclock it. I don't trust him or the voltages he used to achieve his overclock and the chip could be damaged.

Back