ClarkConnect and other free software firewall requirements?

Steve_Oaks

Gawd
I am looking to build a clarkconnect firewall or the other big one people talk about(I forgot the name). I found the hardware requirements for clarkconnect but thought it left a little to the imagination.
http://www.clarkconnect.com/info/requirements.html

What do you guys recomend for mhz? Or even maybe more memory? I just do not want to see slow downs from the firewall because of a slow machine. It will be supporting no more than 10 (3 which are servers) computers.

I haven't used CC in years. I like to keep the firewall seperate from the servers just so there isn't a change of an issue with speed and useage. Currently the firewalls I have been building lately are compaq'a with 466mhz with anywhere from 32 to 128 MB of ram. Mainly it's a cost issue. I've been picking up these boxes lately for $35.

The other system your looking at wouldn't happen to be SME server would it? I've been looking at it but haven't done anything or checked it out personaly yet but like what I'm seeing and the solutions that it provides. Almost like Microsofts Small Bussiness Server. Want to find someone with it and see what their unbiased opinion is about it. Looks real promising.

*EDIT* SME server site is http://contribs.org/modules/news/

I had it running on a Celeron 433 with 256 Megs. I wasnt actually using it for routing, but I set this up in a friends house so he could host his own domain, ftp, mail, and he even used Samba on it.

I've seen SME as well but have not tried it. I asked a question here about it once, but it was like a ghost-town in that thread.

Anyway, the other ones you may be thinking of could be SmoothWall or IPcop.

Originally posted by Nybbles
I've seen SME as well but have not tried it. I asked a question here about it once, but it was like a ghost-town in that thread.

Anyway, the other ones you may be thinking of could be SmoothWall or IPcop.

Hmm.. Might have to start another tread then and see if there a re a few others interested in it and then we can get a few of us to set them up and compare notes on the side. If I can find the extra systems maybe even do a side by side compare.

Hmm is that smoke I smell!? LOL

I'm running mine on a PII 350mhz with 256 MB of RAM.

It's a little slow serving pages regardless of where I am surfing from. (My DSL is at 604 upload)

It's also slow initially to give me the web-based admin screen at home, but once it is loaded there is little lag.

Love the CC. Easy to use.

Originally posted by Cortexprime
I'm running mine on a PII 350mhz with 256 MB of RAM.

It's a little slow serving pages regardless of where I am surfing from. (My DSL is at 604 upload)

It's also slow initially to give me the web-based admin screen at home, but once it is loaded there is little lag.

Love the CC. Easy to use.

Ya, I get the same lag at startup and it is very slow browsing even over the network. Im running on the same specs as you.

What kind of load do you expect to be put on or though this computer?

100 MHz and higher with 128 megs of RAM will be fine for most all home or small office networks. Just make sure you get two decent, and well supported ethernet cards for it.

Back