Civilization V Gods and Kings Expansion Announced

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
I was hoping for this, and I thought it might not come with them announcing work on XCOM.

Scheduled for late spring 2012.

Looks like release date will be May 25th.

http://www.2kgames.com/blog/civilization-v-expansion-pack-announced

Tons of New Stuff. I know I just mentioned it, but I want to draw attention to just how many new things we've got here: 27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations. Among the new civilizations are the Netherlands (William I, Prince of Orange), the Celts (Boudicca), and the Mayans (Pacal the Great).

Religion. That's right; quite possibly the most requested major addition to the game is coming in the Gods & Kings expansion. Using the new "Faith" resource, you'll be able to found your own religion and grow it from a simple Pantheon of the Gods to a world-spanning fully-customized religion.

Reworked Combat System. The expansion has a reworked combat system along with an AI that places more emphasis on balanced army composition. Among the changes to the combat system is the addition of melee naval units, which will force you to really rethink the way you execute your naval assaults.

Enhanced Diplomacy, with Espionage. In addition to being able to establish embassies with your rival civilizations, spies will now be an important part of how you conduct your foreign affairs. Surveilling foreign cities, stealing advanced techs, and garnering influence with city-states are some of the things you'll be able to do with this new powerful mechanic.

New City-States. With religion being added to the game, it only made sense to introduce Religious city-states which will interact with your religion in special ways. In addition, Mercantile city-states will be attractive for those of you who love to grow your civilization's treasury. All city-states will use the greatly expanded quest system, making city-states more dynamic and diplomatic victories more challenging, while decreasing the importance of gold when dealing with city-states.

New Scenarios. Three new scenarios will be coming in Civilization V: Gods & Kings. Experience the fall of Rome, explore the medieval era, and my personal favorite: a unique scenario in a Victorian science-fiction setting.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have picked Boudica as leader of the Celts, but I can deal with it.

I'm happy that religion is making a return. I still don't like how your territory doesn't organically expand through culture though. That was one of my favorite things in Civ IV.

I still don't like how your territory doesn't organically expand through culture though. That was one of my favorite things in Civ IV.

Huh? Isn't that exactly how your territory expands in Civ 5? You can't take someone else's territory that way (I don't think), but it does expand into unclaimed areas.

Last edited:
Huh? Isn't that exactly how your territory expands in Civ 5? You can't take someone else's territory that way (I don't think), but it does expand into unclaimed areas.
Well that's what I was referring to.. culturally taking tiles. Sorry if my use of the word expand caused confusion.. In Civ 5 the only way to take enemy tiles through culture is with the culture bomb, which is a pretty lame concept in my opinion.

Well that's what I was referring to.. culturally taking tiles. Sorry if my use of the word expand caused confusion.. In Civ 5 the only way to take enemy tiles through culture is with the culture bomb, which is a pretty lame concept in my opinion.

Personally, I like it because I never push culture, and I always hated those damn AI guys stealing my territory that way.

Interesting... Culture & religion were always useful.

Hope this dlc is priced right...

Personally, I like it because I never push culture, and I always hated those damn AI guys stealing my territory that way.
I always went culture in Civ IV because stack of doom warfare was very weak. Even though I love the concept of the combat in Civ 5, the AI was pretty awful at launch, and since the culture game was nerfed I found myself not playing it anymore.

so there are retrofitting 5 to be more like 4.............................................i knew there was a reason i was waiting to buy this..lol

Well Civ 4 received two expansions which had big impacts on the gameplay, which is what really improved the game compared to the base as well.

The expansion mainly seems to adding religion back in. Diplomacy and espionage addons were with one of the Civ 4 expansions as well.

The main departure really from Civ 4 is actually the combat, hex tiles, and 1 unit per tile which will still be retained. At least I hope the combat changes they mention focus mainly on improving the AI as opposed to going back to unit stacking...

the hex tiles is one of the reasons i like Civ 5 over civ 4.. friggin hated the movement/combat in Civ 4. but i wonder what the mayans end game unit is going to be..

Nice! Been waiting for this update for a while now.

I wonder what impact this will have on the current DLC. Because as it is, the current DLC is WAY overpriced. If you were to buy it all (which is only a few maps and a handful of civilizations) it amounts to nearly $50.

I also wonder if they fixed the Civ AI's memory. Whenever I play Civ V the AI always seems to forget what I've done for them in the past. I could give a civ a decent amount of money every turn and never do anything to even slightly piss them off, and they'll claim they're friendly towards me. Then one day out of nowhere they're suddenly denouncing me for no reason whatsoever.

Did they fix the passive, sort of non-expanding AI? That made the game pretty boring fast

any word on how they going to make it available?

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

It is going to be a $30 expansion pack. Looks like it will be the standard multiple retail and digital launch.

Are you asking about the possibility of including all previous DLC? Not sure yet on that.

thanks for the quick answer, I should have ask better. just wondering if it was going to be in retail.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.

It is going to be a $30 expansion pack. Looks like it will be the standard multiple retail and digital launch.

Are you asking about the possibility of including all previous DLC? Not sure yet on that.

Nice! Been waiting for this update for a while now.

I wonder what impact this will have on the current DLC. Because as it is, the current DLC is WAY overpriced. If you were to buy it all (which is only a few maps and a handful of civilizations) it amounts to nearly $50.

I also wonder if they fixed the Civ AI's memory. Whenever I play Civ V the AI always seems to forget what I've done for them in the past. I could give a civ a decent amount of money every turn and never do anything to even slightly piss them off, and they'll claim they're friendly towards me. Then one day out of nowhere they're suddenly denouncing me for no reason whatsoever.

So annoying. "Things arent going very well over here, and while it pains me to ask this, I must". Sure ill you some Marble. Your welcome. 5 Turns later "You have been DENOUNCED!". Ok next time I wont give them marble. 5 turns later "You have been DENOUNCED!".

Indeed the AI was the weakest part of this game, i felt that CIV2 had better AI.

Here they went to the extent of having all these city states to interact with, who would give you quests, etc etc... and then they're fuckin' retarded.

The AI actually got a significant overhaul, and this should really be considered a new game based on the original engine and not just an expansion.

Combat is different, game mechanics considerably changed, new nations/buildings/units, just everything revamped and improved and the steampunk scenario is almost another game in and of itself, which is quite impressive.

And the AI will now ask to trade with you, or renew expired trades without you having to recall and search for a buyer, and more importantly they are often:
1) More aggressive
2) Fight each other far more, rather than just ganging up on you.
3) Are able to fight with formations that are far more effective, including armadas at sea (and yes, they do know about concentrating fire).

They have also made various performance enhancements, and I have seen my framerate increase dramatically (and most importantly, it doesn't start to choke when loading games without having to exit out and open it anew).

This is hands down a MUST HAVE buy for anyone that remotely liked Civilization V in the first place.

The AI actually got a significant overhaul, and this should really be considered a new game based on the original engine and not just an expansion.

looks like i know what i be doing with my gift card I got from game stop for helping a friend :D

Yea i got this game for free, now it looks like i'll have to give them some money for this epic-looking expansion.

Oh and btw sea combat is far different now. You have melee ships and ranged ships. The melee ships cannot attack land forces, but ranged land units can attack them. Your embarked units are now also in ships that are able to defend themselves, although granted not as effectively as true wartime vessels.

Melee ships can also now attack and occupy cities so there is a risk for always putting your cities on the coast, and the privateers are great for plundering. You also have to be careful if you're passing your ships around an island with say a gattling gun on it, as he can tear your fleet to pieces. Makes marine units useful in these circumstances.

City states are now more important, and you can influence them with both religion and espionage (overthrowing governments, rigging elections, etc) or if you're Austrian you can take them over with political marriages. There's also new types of city states such as religious and merchantile which give different bonuses.

Just waiting to see if it's nearly as good as Civ IV BTS yet. ;) I appreciated the improvements to combat, but didn't like much else I saw about what they did to it. And I boycotted it anyway for inflicting us with Steam DRM for a single player game ;)

For Civ IV fans, is it approaching Civ IV level goodness yet?

The AI actually got a significant overhaul, and this should really be considered a new game based on the original engine and not just an expansion

And yet it still does idiotic things like using the city bombard and garrisoned cannon to attack my cruiser (which can't attack land targets) instead of the artillery and infantry right beside the city. So until they fix stupid stuff like that, I'd stop short of calling it a significant overhaul. I also had the same guy start a hopeless war with me three times in row (declare war, get ass kicked, sue for peace, wait 10 turns, declare war again, repeat).

No, not yet.

I have logged many hours into civ5, its one of those games I play when my brain is working slow and I need a turn based game so I don't fall behind. At any rate, I like civ 5, not as much as I liked civ 4, but I still like it.
This expansion feels like a large DLC to me rather than an expansion first. I like the new civs obviously, and some of the changes, but mostly it was a "meh" expansion. I still use the same tactics I used before, using the same policy build, relatively same wonder build, etc. I wish they would have looked at knights interface overhaul and added some stuff from his mod to be honest.
At the end of the day, I will still play civ5 with the expansion, probably at least one day if not more a week. However I don't agree it was a complete overhaul and made the game new really...

I like the new city-states mechanic but religion has made the game easier to exploit. I find myself ratcheting up the difficulty to give myself a challenge. I really like that the raging barbs go after everyone now not just you. Help, help, I'm under attack by barbarians!!! Haha sucks to be you Napoleon.

I think its vastly superior, and I haven't touched Civ IV BTS since Civ V Knights came out (and I like this expansion much better than knights). Civ IV allowed far too much city and unit spamming, almost completely unchecked and the combat was just piss poor. Even just little things like roads are so much better in Civ V.

Civ V cities were actually a bit too powerful, with even undefended but walled bigger cities tearing many units to shreds. Gods and Kings tones that down a bit, as the siege weapons are more powerful, and particularly coastal cities are more vulnerable (I used to build all my cities on the coast since fish are such an awesome resource and you get a lot of gold) since you can take out cities even just with a pair of privateers with frigates overhead providing ranged support... and of course an extra bonus if you have an admiral at sea (same bonus as land general).

I don't think its too easy unless you play at prince or below, although I think the austrians are likely to get a nerf.

Back