citrix nfuse over Cisco pix web VPN

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
We have a Citrix server that is hosted offsite but on our WAN and we have a local ASA and VPN which we control. Since they wanted to hide the fact that the citrix is not hosted by us (kinda babyish if you ask me) they want people to access it through the VPN. The VPN appliance creates special dynamic links. Citrix apps arn't launching properly and I believe this is why. It probably wants the real host as being the url.

Does anyone have experience with a setup like this? Here is a diagram to make this easier to understand:

citrix.JPG

The red line is what they want, but does not work. The green is what works currently. The citrix server is behind their firewall, but they've opened up the ports so it can be accessed from a web address.

If it was up to me, we would host our own citrix, and use RSA authentication to log into it. VPN would only be for external users that have a company laptop. But w/e, not my call.

Why did they want to "hide" the fact the Citrix host was served by you all?? Also, I definitely think you are on the right track by saying that the host wants the real url. My company does something very similar to this except the virutal network is not in use.

Basically, we don't have the money for our own citrix server, so instead we use the other hospital's, which connects to our network anyway so the apps still work. But they don't want people to see. Thing is, most arn't technical and would not even notice or care anyway, and those who are slightly more technical know already.

I will have to keep researching on this issue and see if it is those urls so I can show them some solid reason why we should not do this. I can't see what else would cause the issue though.

Are you setting up citrix through the web profile on the ASA? So a user would hit https://www.exampleasaaddress.com/citrix and then login into the ASA and have access to Citrix using the the ASA Citrix plugin?

Or have you setup Smart Tunnels so when a user logins into the ASA the local Citrix fat client has access through the web vpn session?

Back