Citizen Science Grid

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
I'm really happy to announce that we've recently had a paper published on Wildlife@home in the 15th International Conference on Computational Science (http://www.iccs-meeting.org/iccs2015/). We compared user accuracy to expert accuracy for both the old interface and the new interface, and results are pretty great -- with the new interface some categories (like bird presence) jumped from around 50% (basically a guess) to 70-80%!

If you'd like to give the paper a read I'm making a pre-print version available for you here: http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/wildlife/publications/2015_iccs_wildlife.pdf. Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks again for all your support, feedback and participation in the project! On another note, I'm putting the finishing touches on a new Wildlife@Home application, and next week is spring break, so expect test workunits out this week and weekend for that.

http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2004#5030

teamdaily.php

Last edited:
It's been a long time coming, but I think I might have fixed some of the issues with the subset sum application. I've made a test batch of 100 workunits, and have added 32 and 64 bit linux and OSX applications. I'll be testing windows in a bit. Please let me know how these are crunching. If all works well we should go back to having a steady flow of subset sum workunits coming out!
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2008#5045

I think the next thing on the agenda for SSS is an openCL version, as I think we'll be able to use GPUs very nicely with this project. As for an android version, it would take either an interested student of mine to work on it (as I've not done any android development) or someone in the community who would want to work with me to port the code over. The application isn't particularly difficult...
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2008#5045

Anyone up for the task? The Android version would probably be an easy compile. For version 5 compatibility it would require PEI extensions.

Subsetsum work units are going out to Windows machines now.

Yep, all my machines got a bunch of them. They seem to be working just fine. About 1hr 30min to complete each WU.

Last edited:
We have had a first publication accepted about the Subset Sum problem at the 14th Canadian Workshop on Information Theory (CWIT 2015). We've made a draft of this paper available for you on our publications page if you'd like to read it. Thanks again for all your support and compute cycles! Feel free to ask us any questions.
http://volunteer.cs.und.edu/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2018#5103

It appears they are sending out Wildlife Windows work units.

Yep, I picked up my first Wildlife badge yesterday, in fact.

Now that the server migration has completed, I'd like to introduce a new project, mostly made by one of our undergraduate research assistants - Lindsey Wingate. The goal of the project is to better understand a large number of tweets related to climate change so we can study public perception regarding climate change. We'll use your input on these to research the development of machine learning algorithms in sentiment analysis, which we hope can eventually automate most of the process.

Please note that the tweets are unfiltered and may contain profanity or controversial views, and these are not the views of the Citizen Science Grid, any of our team, or funding agencies. Because of this, we'd like to keep the project 18+ (or whatever legal age you need to be in your country to be able to read profanity). Because of this, reading through them should also be a lot of fun!. :)

http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2046

Is this a BOINC project or do you need to sign up at the CSG site?
Where's the phone app?
I have an Asus ZenFone 2 with quad core Intel Atom Z3580 2.3GHz 64-bit CPU.

This is a BOINC project. So, it uses the BOINC client. How you sign up to the project is up to you. If you use BAM!, then just create an account from there. If you don't, then just do it manually. Let me know if you need help getting connected.

You should be able to download BOINC from Google Play. If you don't see it, nativeBOINC is there as well but isn't official from Berkeley (and I don't think it supports x86). I use both depending on which device I'm looking at. nativeBOINC is based on an older version but will work on older versions of Android and has a few options the official one does not.

Once you have installed the client of choice, you just attach it like you would your PC and it will pull accorddingly. The problem you will run into is that there is only two projects out there that has an x86 Android app. That is SETI BETA and WUProp. At least, I'm not familiar with any other projects with it yet.

Got BOINC installed on my phone but it says CSG isn't compatible. Bummer! Looks like WUProp is good to go as soon as my phone reaches 90% charge. That's probably a waste though as I won't keep my phone plugged into the charger full time for that.

You may want to attach to SETI BETA then. WUProp wont do any good unless you have another project running. It won't even credit because the work units will essentially have no useful data. Most projects that support ARM typically scale their work units so that they can complete on time under typical charging times. Give it a shot and report back what you find. I have ran projects on 600MHz ARM devices. I'm sure you can complete the work with that bad boy on 8 hour a day charge times....lol

I hit my 1 million point goal. RFGuy_KCCO better get his butt in gear to catch me in the 1 million race...lol

Got BOINC installed on my phone but it says CSG isn't compatible. Bummer! Looks like WUProp is good to go as soon as my phone reaches 90% charge. That's probably a waste though as I won't keep my phone plugged into the charger full time for that.

My samsung Android phone runs the the subset CSG subproject but says no work for DNA, but the project didn't appear in the project list, I had to add the URL manually.
You can alter the 90% charge in the advance preferences and also allow it to run off the battery so you don't need the charger in all the while but it does run the battery down quick .

jondi, his other issue is that his device is an Atom based phone. So, the project must support x86 Android apps...

Well... looks like we are kicking it off strong with 1st place. It will be fun to see how far this test goes.

I hit my 1 million point goal. RFGuy_KCCO better get his butt in gear to catch me in the 1 million race...lol

Well... perhaps I spoke too soon. Not sure how the points are going to be yet as there was some kind of hiccup with the DNA points.

Dude, there is no way I will ever catch you! I am going to keep trying, but I know it is a losing proposition. It is still fun to try, though.

Travis just posted the following message on the project's main page:

I've fixed the issue with credit totals. In one place credit was getting multiplied however with the new multi-app code it wasn't getting multiplied where actually needed. This resulted in the credit totals going down a bit for the DNA@Home credit, so I apologize for this and any confusion it might have caused. On another note, now that the DNA@Home credit is actually being displayed accurately everywhere -- what are your thoughts on the amount of credit being awarded (always a great way to stir up a can of worms)? If it is too low I'll look back into adding in a multiplier, or trying to get things working with fixed credit.

Just a heads up to everyone, I'll be driving to NY tomorrow for my annual island camping adventure. It'll be a two day drive (so I will be able to check forums tomorrow night and Sunday night), but starting Monday I'll be out camping on a beautiful island on Lake George in the Adirondacks. I'll have some cell phone service but limited battery so I will not be able to check the forums very frequently. I'll be off the island June 29th, so I apologize for any slow responses while I'm enjoying a little bit of rest and relaxation off the grid. Hopefully nothing explodes while I'm gone!

Once I get back we have quite a few cool updates for the CSG -- a new Wildlife@Home project involving ducks and another Wildlife@Home project involving images from the Hudson Bay, Canada and from around North Dakota involving motion sensor camera traps.

I apologize for not getting the Climate Tweets validator up and running this week, that will be on the top of the to-do list for when I get back from NY.

http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2097#5461

Given that it was taking way too long for the DNA@Home workunits to clear out I canceled every workunit that didn't have any jobs out being crunched. Once I get back from vacation I'll get fixed credit up and going with a lot of new DNA@Home work.

http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2098#5462

Travis just sent this PM
Testing new DNA@Home workunits now. Once things are looking good and credit is looking right then I'll put out a huge batch and we should be ready for a challenge!

SubsetSum is also now using fixed credit as the work units are pretty much all the same size. Some of my systems are seeing a large bump in points increase from what it was. Some are as much as 50% more credit, but that is only on new work units starting today. Some of my ARM devices have almost doubled in the points awarded.

http://csgrid.org/csg/forum_thread.php?id=2126

Of course things shouldn't have worked out that easily. I've found the bug and am working on a fix right now. Whlie unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to update credit for tasks that were awarded 0 credit too easily (although I haven't counted it out yet), I will be able to update all the currently crunching workunits so anything that validates here on out will get credit. I've shut down the daemons so nothing else gets validated with 0 credit, however anything you're crunching right now will get credit once I've got a fix in place and everything is back up and running. Sorry about this, hopefully have a fix soon!

And this is why we are testing... lol

I had 190 work units get 0 credits. But, I honestly don't care. They are valid work units and it is for the science.

some potential good news

There are issues with the DNA@Home application which do not make it easily portable to GPUs. Part of this is due to the amount of memory required for the application, but the algorithm itself is not easily parallelizable. Even if we had a GPU app it would only be 2-3x faster (if that).

I do have some students working on a GPU app for Subset Sum however, which should see quite a large amount of speedup.
A DNA@Home app for GPUs

Back