CISSP Certification

lexcruiser

Weaksauce
Any of you guys taken it? How difficult is the course/exam?

Job is offering to pay for it, wondering what to expect.. :rolleyes:

do you meet all the pre-requisites put in place by isc^2, i.e. number of years experience working in information security? i believe you can still sit the exam if you dont meet those criteria and as a result of which you will then achieve isc^2 associate status. if work are paying for it then grab it with both hands is what i say.

a guy who i work with is studying for it - he failed his first try by one percent, or so i believe. certainly not an easy certification to achieve - plus it requires an ongoing commitment to stay certified, by way of a points system i believe, that shows continued contribution to the security community.

it would certainly seem that there is more to it than typical 'paper certs' that seems to be so common nowadays. thats my two penneth anyway.

if you do decide to go for it then good luck :)

I passed it in Feb '06. It's definitely a tough exam, plus it's long too. Best advice I can give you is that Shon Harris is your friend, as well as cccure.org. Take a few bananas (brain food) and a bottle of water with you, and take breaks. I took one halfway through, and at the end. Go back and check your answers when you're done if you have time, starting from the last question. You'd be surprised how many stupid mistakes one can make at the end of the test due to fatigue.

Unless it's changed, ISC^2 does not give you exam scores, it's pass/fail.

Thanks for the info guys!

I've been in the IT field for over 10 yrs, but only recently specifically concentrated in the InfoSec field.
Got my GSEC Certification (full cert, not just certificate) this month too and it seems the CISSP covers similar topics... I'm so not cut out for studying anymore.. :cool:

Sounds like you've done quite a bit of studying then. Just pick up Shon Harris's "Passport CISSP". It's what I took with me to the testing site as a refresher in my hotel room the night before. The questions in it are awesome. If you have trouble with any section, I'd recommend using an online resource to read up on them. Google works well for finding said resources. If work is paying for the books too, just go ahead and get Shon's CISSP All-in-One too. I'd still use the passport and cccure.org to baseline yourself and figure out what you need to focus on.

This was a really good thread if I may say so. Work wants me to get mine asap once I'm finished with my degree later this year. Considering its around a $30K pay raise if I get it I think I'll put in the studying time.

This was a really good thread if I may say so. Work wants me to get mine asap once I'm finished with my degree later this year. Considering its around a $30K pay raise if I get it I think I'll put in the studying time.

That's just a small increase. Good luck Bob.

Lex, you can probably find a security job easily paying 60k+. I have no idea what CISSP certs will give you extra.

Lex, you can probably find a security job easily paying 60k+. I have no idea what CISSP certs will give you extra.

Thanks. CISSPs with 4 years experience in my area is $90-120K

I'm already working a security job paying more than that, they're the ones who are paying for the course... hopefully this might bump me up a bit more. :D

Or not.. we'll see. =P

Back