Cisco's Big Announcement

a lot of people think it is going to be a consumer tele-presence type of thing.

I'm hoping for something like a new mega-broadband network for the public leveraging their new 100Gbit Ethernet technologies.

Then I'll laugh after everyone comes here with their "why is my wireless slow" threads because they don't understand the unique challenges of "long fat networks".

I heard something about new MUXes that will double current capacity or some such thing.

It can't be too important; anything involving major business changes would likely be regulated by the SEC, which would mean they can't give hints before the announcement, or else it might be a regulation violation.

Adding DStink and Nutgear branding to their home/small business portfolio currently consisting of Stinksys. :p

"The Cisco CRS-3 is currently in field trials, and its pricing starts at $90,000 U.S"

Stretch said it best: "for what, the faceplate?"

Yeah, I knew about this yesterday. Might put our CRS-1 order on hold..
heh, I have docs dated 2 months ago ;) Good stuff that this was finally released, its a shame there is no more competition in the field.... juniper can't hold a candle to our new stuff.

Gotta love when Cisco's field 100GbE test trumps junis verizon test. Where are the juni fan boys now?

90k starting.... our joke of the day was 90k for the power supplies. lol

btw... I still do really like juniper products but the T1600 just can't stack up! :p

btw... I still do really like juniper products but the T1600 just can't stack up! :p

LOL. You could tell me a million times that Juniper is the best thing since sliced bread and I wouldn't believe that you believe it. No no- You and Juniper are sworn enemies.

CRS-3 was the announcment up to 322 terabits per second

Thats pretty fast if you ask me

Meh, I've seen faster...

:p
But the odds of people getting the full benefit of this? In the UK the average speed of connection is really bad, VoIP for a SMB is almost non-existant cause 8 megs just wont cut it.

But the odds of people getting the full benefit of this? In the UK the average speed of connection is really bad, VoIP for a SMB is almost non-existant cause 8 megs just wont cut it.

Hopefully if companies implement this it will bring us faster connections at home. At a cost starting at $90K each, i don't see internet prices going down anytime soon though

So if I put one of these in my basement can I get something faster than 3/768 dsl? :p

heh, I have docs dated 2 months ago ;) Good stuff that this was finally released, its a shame there is no more competition in the field.... juniper can't hold a candle to our new stuff.

Gotta love when Cisco's field 100GbE test trumps junis verizon test. Where are the juni fan boys now?

90k starting.... our joke of the day was 90k for the power supplies. lol

Yeah, seriously haha. Most people think 90K gives them a highly deployable router out of the box haha. Meanwhile, all they get is pins and the Cisco logo stamped on the front. Line cards.. and even more so, maintenance is where the money is at.

Perfect example of this is using 4500s for user access layer instead of 6500.. doesn't make much sense from a TCO perspective if you already have 6500s everywhere. You'd need to keep spare parts around at every site for the 4500, bug scrub its own version of IOS, etc etc.

Back