Cisco VTP Issues

Cmustang87

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all,

Currently I'm studying for my CCNA. I have 2 devices:

ISR 881
Catalyst 3560 Switch

I can post configs later, but I'm at work and do not have access at the moment. I changed both VTP domains to be NULL, then set the 881 router as a VTP server, and then changed VTP domain to another name: DerekLab. Revision number is 0 on that server now.

Ok cool. Changed VTP domain to NULL on the Catalyst switch and set to transparent mode, to blank out VTP revision number. Then changed VTP mode to server. Added a VLAN to the 881 router, and the 3560 didn't auto join to the DerekLab and gather VLAN information.

Does VTP not work if you have the devices connected at two 2 subnets?

I have both devices connected to my main internet connection, behind a basic ASUS router that all my LAN devices are on.

192.168.1.0/24 is the internal network of the ASUS
192.168.1.0/24 is VLAN 1 on the Catalyst with VLAN 1 interface of 192.168.1.254/24
192.168.1.0/24 is VLAN 1 of the 881, with VLAN 1 interface of 192.168.1.253/24

I can SSH to both devices from my home computer 192.168.1.55/24, however I also have VLAN 50 on both the switch and the router with 10.1.50.0/24 and a trunk interface between the two.

Anything that I could be missing? I'm guessing I'll need to post a sho run, but I'm open to any insight here. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Sorry, I should also state that both devices are using VTP version 2, and the Catalyst is IOS 12.2 and the 881 is 15.0.

Well that's easy.

You have 2 servers. Of course it won't work. One device has to be a Server, and the other needs to be a Client. Configure that and everything will start working as you expect.

VTP only works on a router if you have a switch module installed. It won't work with just standard interfaces.

Yes, because the IOS has the capability with the right hardware installed.

VTP operates on L2 on a switchport using mac of 01-00-0C-CC-CC-CC.

I was able to get this issue fixed:

I removed all VLANs from the 881 (this was a silly set up anyway, you should manage VLANs from your switch, I suppose. This was just for testing and I was tired.)

Created VLANs on the 3560 and they are now replicating over just fine to the 881. Thank you for the help.

VTP only works on a router if you have a switch module installed. It won't work with just standard interfaces.

The 881 has 4 switched ports built into it. The only interface port is the "WAN" port unless it has wireless then it has an internal interface for that too.

Back