• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cisco VLANs and InterVLAN routing - Quick Question

Jay_2

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
3,583
I have a really annoying situatiuon where I have no router inplace that can do trunking (5505 basic license :( )

I have 2 VLANS 10 Data 20 voice I have given both VALNs IPs lets say

VLAN10 192.168.1.1
VLAN20 192.168.2.1

The posts are setup as this..

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 20


Enabled IP routing and set the router as the gateway of last resort

Now becuase the L3 switchis doing the routing I have had to set the default gateway as the VLAN IPs. So PCs on VLAN10 get a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and phones on VLAN20 get a gateway of 192.168.2.1

Can anyone see any real downside to having the 3560 doing the VLAN routing, is this the "correct "way to do things in the event I don't have a trunkable router?

Thanks
 
one thing to keep in mind is the 5505 won't do DHCP for both subnets IIRC. is there a third VLAN between the ASA and switch, or is the switches gateway on one of the VLANs along wiht the ASA?

(might be a non issue, now that I thik about it, you said a 3560, which has a DHCP server, I did a similar setup but used a procurve 2848, no DHCP server)
 
We are using a Windows 2003 box due to how the DHCP needed to be setup, probably have to use 2 NICs one in each VLAN

I needed a Tag in the DHCP (option 43)

This isn't for security just for QoS on the VoIP IP range and to cut down the broadcast from them as well.
 
Last edited:
ip helper address for your vlans.. that will take out the need for dual nics on the 2003 box
 
Yes I have done this before and always tend to do it this way but I was told by the VoIP installer that for some reason it causes issues with the phone system. I am going to try a helper first though.

Its odd I have never had to use a L3 switch to actually route VLANs before.#

Should the Gateway of last resort be the inside IP of the router or the outside?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top