Cisco used models

ccarrigan

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a new solution for some of our clients. Some of the SOHO routers get kind of expensive when you get in to higher numbers of users. I am looking to see what used Cisco models (something that I can get on ebay maybe?) would allow the following:

(1) Ethernet capability on the LAN and WAN
(2) PPPOE on a WAN port
(3) NAT
(4) SPI

I'm thinking I might get better costs this way, and have a more reliable solution. Thanks for any assistance. My clients are usually in the 5-70 user range, with internet access of between 1MB and 3MB.

SPI?

that aside, any off-the-shelf router will serve your purpose... why Cisco if cost is an issue? They are uber-expensive in general.

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome IMO... but overkill if you don't need all the advanced IOS features.

mattjw916 said:
SPI?

that aside, any off-the-shelf router will serve your purpose... why Cisco if cost is an issue? They are uber-expensive in general.

Don't get me wrong, they are awesome IMO... but overkill if you don't need all the advanced IOS features.

SPI = stateful packet inspection

Any off the shelf Linksys router? No thanks. For the level of service and performance, I'd have to go a step above with something like Sonicwall or Watchguard. And with these appliances, we have licensing issues because they become costly above a certain amount. Cisco is typically limited by hardware, not by license. The things I want to do are simple, but I need something that will do the simple all the time.

For reference, the client I am currently looking at has a Linksys put in by another company that has to be reset 4 times a week or so as it loses its connection. This company is big for our area, and is getting aggravated. Cost to put in an unlimited Sonicwall would be $1000 to $1400 depending on the model (rack mount is always nice).

I bet something like a well equiped cisco 1721 w/ a WIC-1ENET card will do just fine for what you need. as for the firewall you can look at a diffrent IOS version or get something seperate.

oakfan52 said:
I bet something like a well equiped cisco 1721 w/ a WIC-1ENET card will do just fine for what you need. as for the firewall you can look at a diffrent IOS version or get something seperate.

Any models in a rack mount for the picky customers? I looked at the 2600s but couldn't find the model with that card you specified. Thanks!

if you're looking for a 2600 router youll want to get the 2620's and higher or 2600XM series. The lower 2600's have 10mbit only.

The latest IOS will support PPPOE, NAT and SPI over the ethernet ports. If you got a router with two ethernet ports you wouldn't even need to get the ADSL WIC.

goalied00d said:
if you're looking for a 2600 router youll want to get the 2620's and higher or 2600XM series. The lower 2600's have 10mbit only.

The latest IOS will support PPPOE, NAT and SPI over the ethernet ports. If you got a router with two ethernet ports you wouldn't even need to get the ADSL WIC.

10Mb work fine for internet traffic unless you have an ubber line =). also the WIC-1ENET cars work in the 2600's as long as you are running 12.2+. the wic cards are only like $50.

HippieCat said:
Thought about what it would take to build your own?

Out of a Linux box? Sure. Am I around there to tweak things, or make the changes, or willing to rely on the open source community (or rather, have my clients rely on them).... not at this point. It's a great idea, but an all in one solution from a proven source is where I end up. If I was an IT admin for one company, sure. I'd have lots of time to config. But we bill $125 an hour. People don't like to see me "config'ing"... the like to see me leaving ;)

oakfan52 said:
10Mb work fine for internet traffic unless you have an ubber line =). also the WIC-1ENET cars work in the 2600's as long as you are running 12.2+. the wic cards are only like $50.

So the 2611s would be good to look at? I saw some of them on Ebay. Do you know a general cost for the new IOS version?

HippieCat said:
rgr that, ccarrigan. And thanks for putting it in such a nice way, lol.

I can't tell if you were sarcastic or not! I hope not, because I tried my best to both explain my point and theirs without saying that solution was invalid. It's a great one in the right environment, just maybe not these particular ones. Hope that was the case :)

Does anyone know where I can purchase the correct IOS software? There are lots of versions, and I'm not sure which to pick. Thanks!

I'd like a little direction for what IOS to get for a 1720 . I'm about to get a WIC-1ENET for the 1720. I will be running Comcast Cable through the 1720 once I get the Card. Any help in pointing me out to which IOS to run would be great. I am used to Configuring Cisco 1720's with T1's not cable Internet.

My plan is to have the 1720 connected to a Nortel Baystack 350-24T Switch so I can network the whole house here. A little Over Kill, but it will l be nice once I get my HTPC up and running. Also helps with studying for future "Certs" having that type of setup at Home.

Back