Cisco switches - Heat issue?

smizack

Supreme [H]ardness
How hot do they really get? It's the loudest thing around me right now, so I pulled the plug to the fan,(like 20mm or something) and damn it's sweet to be rid of that whine.
I can barely hear the router, but the switch fan is horrible.

So, anyone ever have a heat issue with Cisco switches?

Not when the fan is connected. Its on there for a reason.

I have seen switches lock up from overheating. One guy I know had several of the 1u routers in a coms rack with out any spacing. His cooling system took a nose dive, room temp shot up to the 80's, and it was down hill from there.

I have had my own cooling system freeze up in the summer. Bad things happen in server rooms after that. At the very least, replace the noisy fan with a quieter one.

I've heard some awful whines from VPN concentrators, switches, routers, etc., (think Delta fans,) but then that kind of gear really wasn't built with someone sitting next to it in mind either. Normally, these are off in a telecom closet or on a raised floor in a data center, so "quiet" isn't built in or even necessary; but, you still need to give it some airflow because they do get warm.

Not CISCO switch, but we have HP ProCurves and they are in unventilated network closets (bad planning) which we think was responsible for one or two of the switches crapping out on us; so make sure that they are going into a ventilated (if not climate controlled) area.

Unless you only have two switches, I'd never stack them right on top of each other in a rack. I'd give like 1U of space.

Not when the fan is connected. Its on there for a reason.

Well no kidding.

But It's an older switch that I've been thinking about upgrading anyway.
Its sitting on top of my router in the open. I don't think ventilation is going to be a problem. And with the noise it was either that or stick it in a closet.
I was just curious.

Unless you only have two switches, I'd never stack them right on top of each other in a rack. I'd give like 1U of space.

After they locked up, he spaced them out. I like to have at least one hole of space in between.

Back