Cisco Sues Apple Over iPhone Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
Listening to Steve Jobs repeatedly refer to the new Apple phone as the “iPhone” during MacWorld, I just knew Cisco wasn’t going to be too thrilled. The company filed suit against Apple to get an injunction against Apple from using the iPhone name.

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

Hahahahaha!!! Go Cisco!!!!
Apple kind of deserves this since they went after people that used the word "iPod".

I'm surprised it took that long, I thought they would of sued yesterday.

No matter how much this costs apple... I'm sure it'll be worth it for the name to be iphone marketing.

I just hope Cisco wont sell the rights. Wouldnt that be a kick in the pants. :D

This is great. Pretty soon companies are going to hire people to develop names and trademark them before they have a product to match the name.

lol cisco, the one company with enough money to really not give a crap what apple wants, thinks, or needs. man did apple pick the wrong company to pick a fight with or what?

This is great. Pretty soon companies are going to hire people to develop names and trademark them before they have a product to match the name.

Quick lets trademark iDoor, iChair, iWatch, iWaterheater, iCheese, iRootbeer, iVodka...

Pretty soon? There are actually companies with thousands of trademarked names for products which haven't come out yet, mostly medication names. They find all the combinations they can call a drug and trademark them, and years later sell the name.

I bet Cisco eventually sells Apple the iPhone name, it would be in their best interest dollar wise and would cause less confusion. However, I won't be too surprise if Cisco doesn't for they do have deep pockets and they do seem to have a pretty solid case.

I thought that I read yesterday that CISCO and Apple sat down and signed an agreement on the phone... Maybe I am loosing my mind.....

KM

CISCO said:
"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

man it sounds like cisco doesnt have ANY intention to letting go of that trademark. sucks to be apple lol

I thought that I read yesterday that CISCO and Apple sat down and signed an agreement on the phone... Maybe I am loosing my mind.....

KM

They loosley negotiated a deal, but apple dropped the ball and suprised released their phone before ever signing a final agreement.

All this iGay stuff makes my head hurt. :(
That's almost sig-line material right there! :D

I hope Cisco doesn't back down on this. Consider it bad karma making its way back to bite Apple in the rump after all their B&M'ing over companies using iPod, etc.

(Disclaimer: IANAL and don't know any details over this other than what's in the news, so the bad karma comment may be off-base. Although I won't cry if it is hehe.)

Back