cisco router

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
I got some friends that run a small ISP in their basement.
They just got a DS3, but they say their cisco 2610 (I believe thats what they have) limits them to 10mbit of it. If thats so, whats the minimum series router they should get? *So I can keep an eye out on ebay or here for them.

ds3? i dont think the 2610 (xm)? has a ds-3 module? you might want to recheck that. i would think the minimum router would be AT LEAST a 3600 series... i think those ds-3 modules are quite expensive...

I know this might be off topic and this might be rude to ask but how much does a DS3 (T-3) i am assuming cost?

kur1j said:
I know this might be off topic and this might be rude to ask but how much does a DS3 (T-3) i am assuming cost?
Deepends on location, but is in no way going to be cheap. Around here a T1 is ~$500, I would guess DS3 is alot more.

I don't know what hes paying, I think its upwards of 6grand/month. Has a ds1 line and a t1 line too, think he pays $300 each for thoes. I believe its being converted to ethernet before it hits the router.

Here is a link to the WIC that would be needed for a T3/DS3. Cisco NM-1T3/E3. CDW carries for 6.4k :eek: Looks like to use the full DS3 the minimum router would be a 3661.

Ya, smallish isp. Game servers, web server, adsl services, email ect. Thanks for the info spectrum, ill see if I can find them something cheep. Just the other day 3620 went out for less than $300 on ebay (no modules), guess 3620 is too slow anyways. Kinda assume since their stuff 'works' right now, they have all the modules/wics they need, just need a faster router.

YOWSERS a 3620 for $300! I gotta start cruising ebay for hardware again I guess....
And you're quite welcome for the info. ;)

I dunno about $300, won't find that often (if, never)....

And why would they be buying used equipment for an ISP??? If I was their customer I would sure as hell hope they have maintanance contracts on their eq, especially supporting a circuit as large as a ds-3.

And a 2600 for their (the ISP's) core router? Doubt it.

Sounds fishy, honestly.

The local loop charges have to be insane and not many CO's have that kind of capacity for residential installs.

Have pic's? I would sure enjoy being wrong :D

The more I think of it, do you have info on their setup? They using the TDM circuit to channelize the DS3?

smallish isp from the basement with adsl service? i highly doubt that... let us see some pics?

apparantly none of you have heard of Cogent Communications... 100Mbps for $1000 a month. If you use it for hosting I think it's $3000 a month on their contract. Includes a nice SLA, and all hardware is provided to give you a simple cat5 hookup into your network.

The guy said a DS3 circuit not ethernet.

What are the details of the Cogent 100Mbps for $1000 deal. Unlimited usage? Per drink of GB transfered?..etc

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The smallest router you can run a DS3 is a 2651XM, but only sub-rate (approx 15mbps).

A 3620 or 3640 won't even cut a full rate DS3, again sub-rate.

If you want to run a DS3 full speed you will need a 7500, 7200, or 3700 router. 7500's are dirt cheap on eBay, but they are huge and will cost a lot of money to ship.

P.S. There are two ways to run a DS3, 1. internal CSU/DSU card, or 2. HSSI interface with external CSU/DSU.

a 3662 will do ds-3 also, but most of these modules for anything lower than a 7200 or a 7500 can only do full ds-3...and can't break up the ds-3 into channels.

Back