Cisco router, RDP and putty/hyperterminal

NeghVar

2[H]4U
When at the machine directly connected to the router via COM1, I can access and edit it with both hyperterminal and putty. However when I rdp to the system the router is connected to from my PC at my cubical (same LAN), I have no control and nothing appears or responds upon connection.

All the settings are right as far as I can tell.

why not just telnet into the router from the other pc? should be good enough unless you need to monitor start up.

Also when you RDP to the other pc, are you saying putty and Hyperterminal arent working or everything isnt working?

why not just telnet into the router from the other pc? should be good enough unless you need to monitor start up.

Also when you RDP to the other pc, are you saying putty and Hyperterminal arent working or everything isnt working?

The router is not to be attached to the LAN yet. Its presently experimental for IP SLA.

just putty and hyperterminal. everything else functions fine. The OS on the system connected to the router is Server 2008

hmm.. I never had that issue when I tested server 08 on my old dell poweredge.
are you sure that putty or HT aren't running on another user and using the port?

be careful that your RDP client isn't being "helpful", and redirecting your local COM1 to your RDP session COM1.

be careful that your RDP client isn't being "helpful", and redirecting your local COM1 to your RDP session COM1.

hmm.. that could also be it. Actually... I bet it is doing that. Check the RDP client settings, they give the options to redirect local stuff for use on the server.
Thats probably why I didnt have any issues, all my com ports were 4-7 on a USB to 4 port serial adapter.

How do I verify that? and if it is "helping" how do I work around it?

How do I verify that? and if it is "helping" how do I work around it?

check the settings of the RDP client before you connect. typically its under options. then disable serial ports under local devices (its its microsofts RDP client)

That was it, in the resources tab, "uses serial ports" was checked. Unchecked it and Voila!

Thanks

Back