Cisco router gurus

JDMs14

Limp Gawd
I am absolutley stumped. Here is my situation:

I have a Cisco 2611 router and 1924 switch which I would like to configure for use in a home network. My configurations have been tested on a similar router/switch combo and worked fine.

Basically what I am doing is configuring eth0/0 to use dhcp and connect to my cable modem. I configure eth0/1 as 192.168.222.1 255.255.255.0 etc.... and configure nat inside, no shutdown and all that jazz. Like I said this was configured on an almost identical setup (2651 router and exact same switch) and worked fine.

My problem seems to lie in the link between the Router and the Switch. Once i connected my cable modem to eth0/0 i got a link light and activity, but when I connect the straight through cat 5e cable to eth0/1 and the network port on the switch I receive no link light or any activity.

I thought at first maybe interface eth0/1 was a dud...but I swapped and received a link light as well...

Not sure if anyone else has a similar setup but I would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what is causing this issue!

ps: ill post up my exact config if necessary

Thanks!

paste a "sh int eth0/1" from the router.

also, paste your switch config.

The switch doesn't have any config at the moment...it's my understanding that it should work right out of the box? Please correct me if i'm wrong..

I don't have access to the router at this moment but I will post my exact config here:

Router(config)#Interface eth0/0
Router(config-if)#No shutdown
Router(config-if)#Ip address dhcp
Router(config-if)#Ip nat outside

Router(config)#Interface eth0/1
Router(config-if)#No shutdown
Router(config-if)#Ip address 192.168.222.1 255.255.255.0
Router(config-if)#Ip nat inside

Ip nat inside source list 1 interface eth0/0

Access-list 1 permit 192.168.222.0 0.0.0.255

Line console 0
password ******
Login
exit

Line vty 0 4
password ****
login
exit

Ip default-gateway 74.84.104.*** ( my wan IP)

copy run start

So this is basically what I have...i'm still a beginner when it comes to router config so i'm not sure if there is a better way to do this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

It sounds like your switch doesn't have a default configuration like what you would find on a SOHO switch. I would give your switch an IP on the LAN, that should open it up.

Shadowspawn said:
I would give your switch an IP on the LAN, that should open it up.

"I receive no link light"

Layer 1 issues won't be fixed by changing IP addresses. Either the interface on either end is shutdown, the cable is bad, or the speed/duplex settings need to be checked.

Back