Cisco PIX Stealth Problem

Axman

VP of Extreme Liberty
I'm having some real problems getting my Cisco PIX 506e to stealth ports without blocking them. After about five hours going over manuals written in Ciscoese I figured I should just ask for help.

So how on earth do I begin stealthing ports?

Wild guess?
GRC.com online scanner talks about a port being stealthed if they don't recieve a response from the scan.

Basically dropping the packet without giving a response.

Essentially, that's right; the firewall only allows solicited packets through to the SMTP connector; it generally denies ICMP packets directed to a, several, or all ports while still allowing traffic through. But I've got to be doing something wrong because if I make a "block ICMP on port 25" rule it stops all email.

Our mail server, because it's running IIS, is exposed to a small exploit that allows some spammers to use it as a relay. I haven't set up a port scan filter yet, but that's also on the chopping block.

Maybe posting your config (minus the ip details) would be a better route if you think it's a config error, defiantely easier to fix a config than replace the device.

ICMP is directed to an IP, but doesn't use port numbers.; its a layer 3 protocol. TCP/UDP port numbers are layer 4.

Back