Cisco Pix 506 config

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I've got a Cisco Pix 506(not the 506e, the older version), that's been mostly untouched for the past 2 years. It's worked fine for what I need, but recently I've had problems with a user(who is set to a power user on his desktop because of a certain program) who uses a proxy occasionally. I want to stop this all together. Here is the stats on the Pix:

Firewall# sh ver

Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.2(2)
Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 2.0(2)

Compiled on Fri 07-Jun-02 17:49 by morlee

Firewall up 230 days 2 hours

Hardware: PIX-506, 32 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 200 MHz
Flash i28F640J5 @ 0x300, 8MB
BIOS Flash AT29C257 @ 0xfffd8000, 32KB

Should I stick with this rather old build or should I think about getting a Cisco contract and upgrade it? I'm going to do a search and try to find out the proper config to shut down all un-necessary data from traveling in and out of the network. Unfortunely I don't know enough to the point where I might get myself in trouble. Any suggestions from those more familiar with Cisco products and/ot CCNA's(or higher)?

PIX 6.2(2) is pretty new as far as the software goes so there is no reason to move to anything else. I do PIX all the time and would be happy to help if you need anything.

NetJunkie said:
PIX 6.2(2) is pretty new as far as the software goes so there is no reason to move to anything else. I do PIX all the time and would be happy to help if you need anything.

Alright, thanks. I'll PM you tomorrow then, as I'm about to get off of work right now. If I remember right, we originally had 6.0(something), and the pix died. It was under warranty and they overnighted a new one to me, I loaded in the old config, and was back up in no time, with a newer version. :)

Edit: I also just noticed you have 8 days seniority over me on the signup date. :)

Thanks for the replies. I did work on my pix most of today removing all the useless crap that was in the current config. I'll try to get a post in tomorrow to let you guys know what I'm doing.

Back