Cisco Network Modules.

Muir

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I need some help with a cisco 2610 router. General disclaimer! I know very, very little about cisco routers. What my IT director layed in my lap is to install a NM-1E network module. I have found documentation on how to physically install the sucker. However, I cannot find any information on how to configure it once it is installed with IOS ver. 12.0 (5)T1. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Why would your boss give you this assignment when you dont have any knowledge with the configuration of the equipment?

I dont know either so I'm not trying to be hard on you or anything. Just wondering.

Scheizekopf,

I agree, but there are only two of us that work here. So it was either him or I that got the duties. I said what the hell, since neither one of us know how to do it, I might as well give it a try. :) Besides feeling really dumb that I cannot find any info, I just see it as a challenge and a learning experience. I tend to learn better hands-on.

Muir said:
I just see it as a challenge and a learning experience. I tend to learn better hands-on.
That's cool. I definately am a hands on learner also. Your lucky to get that assignment then if it's just the 2 of you there. It's fun to get to use (play with) nice equipment.

Sorry I cant give any help to you but ..... Good luck to you!!!!

1) Power down router
2) Remove panel covering NM port
3) Insert NM card carefully
4) Power up router
5) If IOS has support for that NM (which I would think 12.0 has support for a simple NM-1E) then you should see the NM-1E as just another ethernet port (check via sh int).

I have found documentation on how to physically install the sucker.

Thanks for helping me out with the infor I already know shade. However, I am trying to figure out how to program it. :D Not physically install it.

Boot the router. Go to enable mode by typing "enable" and put in the right password. Go to configuration mode by typing "conf t" (short for configuration terminal). Go to that interface by typing "int ex/x" where x/x is the module and port. To get an idea which one it is do a "show ip interface brief" and look for the one without an IP assigned. So after doing "int ex/x" do a "ip address 1.2.3.4 255.blah.blah.blah" for the IP address and netmask. Then do "no shutdown" to enable it. Type "exit" two or three times to exit config and enable mode. Then do "copy run start" to save the config.

That's the basic. Anything more requires more information. I suggest going and buying the Todd Lammle CCNA book.

Thanks Junkie!

That is a great start place. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Oh.. I thought you knew how to at least: assign an IP address to the interface, do a 'no shut' to the interface, and see if it even exists after installing the card.

Yea that is my major problem, I do not know jack on how to configure it. :) Cest la vie. Just time to get dirty and learn something.

Back