Cisco/Linksys RV042 PPTP problems with Win7

CraftyChicken

Limp Gawd
Hey gang,

I've DSL has just become available in my area, so I added a line to my house as a backup for my cable internet. To go with that new connection, I've purchased a Cisco RV042 router for it's dual WANs. This little guy seems to be very speedy, and also has a built in support for up to 5 pptp clients.

So, I hooked up my laptop directly to the DSL modem, and have successfully created a PPTP connection to the RV042 using the cable IP address (after creating a username/password in the router). However, I can not see shared folders/drives like I was on the network. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this not possible? I think it should be, as my work VPN lets me do this just fine with their client software.

Any tips or suggestions on how to get this going would be great. Thanks

This is typical PPTP VPN behavior, and without setting up something for name resolution for the internal network, you won't get anywhere. Can use DNS, WINS, lmhosts files, a few other ways....or...just hit your network shares via IP address.

Got it. I was able access files with PPTP as you said, by using the local IP address in-lieu of the computer name. One thing I had to change was the router's IP address. I also managed to get the QuickVPN client to work in compatibility mode (first time that's ever really worked for me).

Of course it's all a bit slow, as my cable limited to 1Mbit upstream, but kinda neat. Thanks.

Back