cisco lab is ready

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
this long weekend im going to have lots of fun working on my ccna and my finished cisco lab!

:D

only thing i need to get is a bunch of ethernet cable so i can do some etherchannel im going to see if radio shack sells some, maybe even get a bunch and make my own!

CISCOLAB1.jpg

very nice, what models are those routers/switches?
i think i will be getting some cisco equipment soon for work on a ccna :)

nicolas9510 said:
very nice, what models are those routers/switches?
i think i will be getting some cisco equipment soon for work on a ccna :)

my lab consists of

2X 2924

the 2500 i got for like $150 on ebay, 2 of them suck only have like 4mb ram and IOS 11.0 but they will be just for routing, then the other 2 are good with 12.1 IOS so i can do stuff like NAT

the 2924's i got both of them for about $85 each from ebay, both are in perfect working condition running 12.0 IOS enterprise edition

all together is spent maybe $450

Nice setup dude, good luck to you with the CCNA.

I can't imagine working on a 25xx router. These boxes are SOOOOO slow to boot up, let alone do a "show run" or anything else like that. For the price though, you can't go wrong.

Arch said:
Nice setup dude, good luck to you with the CCNA.

I can't imagine working on a 25xx router. These boxes are SOOOOO slow to boot up, let alone do a "show run" or anything else like that. For the price though, you can't go wrong.

thanks, im doing pretty good with the ccna i know pretty much every in ccna now i just need to master everything, like subnetting and ISDN, just needs lots of practice, so far im on course to take the exam sometime in december.

do people even use 2500's anymore? they can do everything you need for the CCNA but i guess thats about it lol

Looks good! I was going to get an Xbox 360 for myself for Christmas, but I think I'm going to use that money to build myself a lab.

What book(s) are you using to study?

cburwell said:
Looks good! I was going to get an Xbox 360 for myself for Christmas, but I think I'm going to use that money to build myself a lab.

What book(s) are you using to study?

i got that 2 book CCNA self study guide from cisco press, the one from wendal odem and the sybex 5th edition, lots of websites that have ccna articles and turtorials and GOOGLE is an awsome way to find stuff on the ccna if im going something on the ccna just google it.

also a few weeks before i take the test im planning to get that exam cram book i have heard good stuff about it.

AMD_Gamer said:
do people even use 2500's anymore? they can do everything you need for the CCNA but i guess thats about it lol

I'm sure there's a bunch of them out there. I have a Cisco 871 here at home along with a Cisco 1130AP that I use to run the home network. I have a few Linksys WRT54Gs I use also, mostly for wireless bridges back to the 1130.

The most common box I see are the 2800 and 3800 series. Of course there is the 6500/7600 line in the higher end switches / routers.

AMD_Gamer said:
i got that 2 book CCNA self study guide from cisco press, the one from wendal odem and the sybex 5th edition, lots of websites that have ccna articles and turtorials and GOOGLE is an awsome way to find stuff on the ccna if im going something on the ccna just google it.

also a few weeks before i take the test im planning to get that exam cram book i have heard good stuff about it.

Thanks. I just realized you posted in the other recent Cisco thread as well. I guess I have some serious e-baying to do for the holidays!

AMD_Gamer said:
holy crap :eek: do you have a tree that grows money? are you a CCIE or what!

tell us what you have!

:eek:

Definitely not IE, otherwise I would have 5 racks of Cisco gear. Expired NP is all I have. :(

In the picture.

1231 AP
1131 AP
350 AP
PIX 515
3 x 2621
3 x 2621XM
3750G 12-P SFP
3750G 24P
2 x 3750 48P
3560 24P

Not in picture. Actual gear that I use for my home network.

2 x 1131 AP
1300 WLANBridge
3750G 48P
Motorola SB5200

Wow! One of those 3750 24's is probably cost more then what most CCNA's spend on their whole lab!

Nice setup!

nice setup, On the books
The Cisco classes i took were threw a college, but i am sure the books are the same if you get them online. Just make sure their Nice and thick
My CCNA 1-4 Books were huge

AMD_Gamer - have you decided if you are taking the combined test or the INTRO and ICND test two parter?

So here's a question for you guys...

I have a cisco 1760 router, a 1924 switch (enterprise I think, haven't looked at it in years).

I was thinking of picking up a 25xx router and maybe a 2900 switch to build my lab on.

Would the 1760 be OK for this? I haven't checked the firmware since I don't have the console adapter (db9) as well as using a Mac... but i'm working on it.

any other suggestions?

From what I have read the biggest thing you want is the "enterprise IOS". Apprently this will let you do just about everything. If you cannot run this on your 1700 router, it seems that 2500 series routers can be found pretty cheap.

A 2900 series switch (with ENT IOS) looks like a must as well. The one thing I would like to know is if there are still questions on CATOS on the cisco exams (CCNA/CCNP).

Malk-a-mite said:
AMD_Gamer - have you decided if you are taking the combined test or the INTRO and ICND test two parter?

the combined one, im on course to take it sometime in december i think the combined one would be easier, less questions on each one as long as you study like crazy, the ICND has the harder subjects so why take a test with more questions with the harder subjects?

well, scratch the 1760.

I just plugged it in and it fizzled, popped and smoked :(

cburwell said:
From what I have read the biggest thing you want is the "enterprise IOS". Apprently this will let you do just about everything. If you cannot run this on your 1700 router, it seems that 2500 series routers can be found pretty cheap.

A 2900 series switch (with ENT IOS) looks like a must as well. The one thing I would like to know is if there are still questions on CATOS on the cisco exams (CCNA/CCNP).

yes enterprise edition is what you want and 12.0 IOS, you could get a few routers with 11.0 and just use them as routing routers then get 1 or 2 2500's with 12.0 IOS so you can do everything like nat and dhcp etc..

and no the ccna does not have any questions on CATOS, ccnp i do not know about

KaosDG said:
So here's a question for you guys...

I have a cisco 1760 router, a 1924 switch (enterprise I think, haven't looked at it in years).

I was thinking of picking up a 25xx router and maybe a 2900 switch to build my lab on.

Would the 1760 be OK for this? I haven't checked the firmware since I don't have the console adapter (db9) as well as using a Mac... but i'm working on it.

any other suggestions?

you would want a few 2500's

unix_foo said:
Definitely not IE, otherwise I would have 5 racks of Cisco gear. Expired NP is all I have. :(

In the picture.

<specs bigger than ecks bauwks>

In the pic, the 24 port PoE 3750 looks just like the non-G version. Only gig switch I see in that pic is the 3750G-12S which hasn't got PoE support... (hence, no P).

SB5200 eh? How do these perform? My ISP is using the 5100s now but I've got a six year old Nortel CM100 (only non Cisco network device I'm using). I ditched my Linksys in favour of a 7206 and my speeds have definitely increased as far as torrents go.

What on earth are you using all that gear for, if not to study for a CCIE?

3750G switches are lovely units - I've got a 3750G-24T powering my network at present. Had any of the GLC-T (1000baseT SFP) modules break on you? You're the only person I've ever known to have a home network running on a 3750G.

Back