CISCO Gurus, Question about Netflow

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
I am interested in setting up Netflow and in the process of building a CCNA lab. I am trying to figure out what the cheapest Router that supports Netfllow is? From my understanding the 2600 series support it? what about the analyzer software? is there a free or open source solution?

Also, Netflow is used for outgoing and incoming connections on the routers right? If you wanted to collect internal LAN information you would want to use SPAN or RSPAN on all the switches in your LAN correct?

I know Netflow is not on the CCNA but it interests me, the same with SPAN and RSPAN I plan to setup and play with on my switches.

Last edited:
NetFlow tracks the IP flows through a router. I'm not sure what the cheaper router that supports it is, use Cisco's Feature Navigator for that. I think Solarwinds has a free tool. I use ManageEnegine NetFlow Analyzer at home and we use NetQoS at work.

SPAN/RSPAN is used more with Wireshark or ______ capture programs.

flow tracker is a good one, you could also look at plixer, I plan to have a look at that one because it supports jflow, haven't had a chance to demo it yet though

NetFlow tracks the IP flows through a router. I'm not sure what the cheaper router that supports it is, use Cisco's Feature Navigator for that. I think Solarwinds has a free tool. I use ManageEnegine NetFlow Analyzer at home and we use NetQoS at work.

SPAN/RSPAN is used more with Wireshark or ______ capture programs.

Yup, I did some more research and Netflow is used for bandwidth statistics kinda like ntop, SPAN would be for all packets, wireshark etc.

Keep in mind that netflow only keeps track of packets that come across a L3 interface. Thats why you don't see support for it in most stackable cisco switches.

If you want to monitor traffic between hosts on the same L2 network, you need to use a packet analyzer and a SPAN port.

Foundry (now Brocade) had something called sFlow that could do it on L2 interfaces, however it never really took off. Was pretty cool to see in action though.

Back