Cisco Gear

Wrench00

2[H]4U
How good is the 5510? Does it do UTM?
If you had a choice would you take
5510?

ASAs don't really do UTM stuff unless you add a module or run the X series with CX/IPS. I wouldn't touch CX yet though.

As for which device, what are you trying to accomplish? If you're asking about home use, I'm running a 5510 and it's fine.

ASAs don't really do UTM stuff unless you add a module or run the X series with CX/IPS. I wouldn't touch CX yet though.

As for which device, what are you trying to accomplish? If you're asking about home use, I'm running a 5510 and it's fine.

5510 at home is mental... :D

I use a 5505 at home

If you have to ask, the 5510 most likely isn't for you. If you want a UTM device for your home, I'd get one of those instead of an ASA (not to mention it will cost you considerably less).

If you have to ask, the 5510 most likely isn't for you. If you want a UTM device for your home, I'd get one of those instead of an ASA (not to mention it will cost you considerably less).

"Cough" Untangle :)

Oh shut up. Next week you'll be back bitching about its(your) shortfalls.:D

BTW, where have you been???

you want to kiss my ass when ? LOL

points at untangle box in corner :)

Been swamped with work, doing EMC installs 7-11 mobility installs and desll calls all over. Been busy.

Plus been flying heli's...:eek:

I might be able to get some 5510 for about 400 bucks i am unsure if I want to even try tho. I do like my sonicwall.

I might be able to get some 5510 for about 400 bucks i am unsure if I want to even try tho. I do like my sonicwall.

1. Buy it and flip it on ebay
2. Buy a new sonicwall
3. Pocket the rest
4. $$$$$$
5. Profit!

you want to kiss my ass when ? LOL

points at untangle box in corner :)

Been swamped with work, doing EMC installs 7-11 mobility installs and desll calls all over. Been busy.

Plus been flying heli's...:eek:

I didn't see the wife and kid mentioned, I hope they are in there somewhere...

I didn't see the wife and kid mentioned, I hope they are in there somewhere...

they are, i spend lots of time with them, just put the mini me down 5 min ago, now i can catch up on work paper work, then a few emails * hand gulls of emails * then my travel expenses etc etc..

Any ASA is going to come with a license for normal operation. The licensing comes in when you look at Sec+ or feature licensing, like Anyconnect, VPN phone, etc.

That's what I was talking about. But the 5510 is a firewall not a utm.. Right?

Ignoring him is no fun. I don't think people should post stupid shit like that without being questioned.

Ignoring him is no fun. I don't think people should post stupid shit like that without being questioned.

THE extra features that aren't included sec+ and others they cost $$ if you want them, that's what i'm talking about..

/usr/home, just likes to throw a ASA at everything & anything networking or anything firewall its a AUTOMATIC post asa, nothing else..

What features are those? What do they do and why would he need them? That's what I'm asking you. My point is, you have no idea what you're talking about. There aren't many situations in which a default ASA 5510 wouldn't be enough for home use.

What features are those? What do they do and why would he need them? That's what I'm asking you. My point is, you have no idea what you're talking about. There aren't many situations in which a default ASA 5510 wouldn't be enough for home use.

You are right, I don't know anything about ASA's that's why i put a ??? on the end of the sentence OR did you miss that part ?

A default asa 5510, for 400$ probably won't be loaded to the TIS so you would have to buy a license or something to get any feature that's not included..

it's like a sonicwall juniper etc etc, sure you can buy the hardware with base config, but once you want other features its $$$$

The OP did ask about UTM features, most of which are optional on ASA and require additional licensing. I'd say he was right on the money with his response.

Whether are not a home user needs UTM like you are insinuating wasn't the question that was originally asked.

Those features, since you asked:

"Optional antivirus, antispam, antiphishing, URL blocking and filtering, and content control"
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/eot_sobo.html

The OP did ask about UTM features, most of which are optional on ASA and require additional licensing. I'd say he was right on the money with his response.

Whether are not a home user needs UTM like you are insinuating wasn't the question that was originally asked.

"Optional antivirus, antispam, antiphishing, URL blocking and filtering, and content control"

you shitting me right ? someone is going to agree with me for once ? no way!

I just find this forum's love affair with the ASA amusing. I think some of the people who constantly reply "ASA" everytime the word firewall or UTM are used don't have a lot of experience with multiple product lines.

I think the ASA are a decent firewall but there are better options out there depending on your needs, especially for the money. Plus most people who actually deal with Cisco knows the initial hardware cost isn't where they hook you -- its feature licensing & smartnet. Sure you can get the firewall unit itself pretty reasonably, but as soon as you need more there's another module or license to buy. Oh you need to add another using? Sorry, that 11th user is going to cost you $xxx more. Pretty soon your licenses, modules, & support are 4x the amount of the original firewall.

As I explained in my first post, the 5510 needs a module to be a "UTM". The question was asked and answered before either of you said a word.

And, no, I don't think he was correct in his statement. What he seemed to be saying is that it's $400/cheap because it NEEDS a license to function. This isn't true and could potentially mislead anyone else reading his response. If he doesn't know how an ASA works, he shouldn't be responding. That's the point.

You are right, I don't know anything about ASA's that's why i put a ??? on the end of the sentence OR did you miss that part ?

A default asa 5510, for 400$ probably won't be loaded to the TIS so you would have to buy a license or something to get any feature that's not included..

it's like a sonicwall juniper etc etc, sure you can buy the hardware with base config, but once you want other features its $$$$

You didn't put a ??? on your original post. You said "it probably needs a license", which didn't make sense, hence my questioning. $400 isn't that crazy for a default 5510.

I don't know what "TIS" means. But, yes, if there's a feature you need that isn't in the base license, you will need to buy a different license. That seems like it would be obvious to anyone, but I guess not. The base license is fine for most people purchasing an ASA for home. Even if it weren't, why chime in on something you're clueless about?

Back