Cisco DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway - anyone else using one?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hey all,

I am on Shaw in Alberta Canada and they gave me the

Cisco DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/DoC/c78-733353-00residential-wireless-gateway-model.pdf

By the spec's the thing is a beast, however, it's latency stinks on the LAN side...

Testing i did:

Asus N56U 192.168.1.1
Cisco 10.19.79.1

Using the same laptop and the same cable and just switching the cable between my Asus and the Cisco, you can see the difference:

Asus left pure <1ms, Cisco on the right with an avg of 5ms

ReOnpJY.jpg

I have disabled all "extras" that i can in the Cisco but the latency is the same. This stinks because someone opening web pages just takes seconds more just resolving.

I have tried changing DNS servers to various free ones (google, opendns and others) but no change as the issue seems to be latency to the router on the LAN side.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has one of these Modem / Routers and if they have similar latency to theirs...

See if they will give you a cable modem without a built in WiFi router? Often you can't do much to resolve and issue with an ISP provided gateway, but good luck working with that one to fix the performance issue.

testing ping to another computer on the lan --- <1ms, no problems.. wondering if it is all the extra's they have on this for protection causing the latency

Independent
Computer Security
Association (ICSA)
firewall compliant
&#9679; Web filtering: pop-ups, cookies, Java, and ActiveX scripts
&#9679; Intrusion detection and prevention: WAN ping blocking, IP fragment blocking, port scan detection, TCP Port Probe,
UDP Port Probe
&#9679; DoS Protection: inbound, outbound, WAN interface, LAN interface, SYN flood, Ping of Death, Smurf, Bonk, Jolt, Land,
Nestea, Newtear, Syndrop, Teardrop, WinNuke/OOBNuke (Invalid TCP urgent pointer), x1234, Saihyousen, Oshare,
ARP flood, TCP Hijacking, Christmas Tree, SYN/FIN (jackal), BackOffice (UDP 32337), NetBus, ICMP Flooding
&#9679; IP address, port number, MAC address filtering
&#9679; TCP flags, ICMP types fragmentation
&#9679; Connection creation and teardown
&#9679; Timestamps and payload modification

Good suggestion ocellaris , i asked them if they could disable this and make it a gateway but they only offer that option on higher speeds, apparently too many people would disable it and then toss on some crappy old router which could not handle the speed.

So tomorrow they said take in the Cisco and they will switch it for a another modem that can be enabled in Bridge mode so i can use / test my asus and see how things go..

Back