Cisco Catalyst 4003 problem

kr0sys

n00b
I picked up a used model on ebay for cheap the other day. The supervisor engine 1 is reading an amber light which is not good. I took it apart to clean it and noticed that the supervisor engine's lone dimm slot for what looks like sdram is empty. Does anyone know if this is typical and just for expansion possibilities? I'm thinking the fact that its empty is throwing an amber led upon boot. TIA

In looking at the info I have, that's an expansion slot, for an additional 32Mb of ram, rather than missing memory.

Make sure that sup1 card is loaded in slot 1 by the way.

OK, stupid question... does it work? Do you get output on the console? The light will be amber for warnings.. like, only one power supply working, etc.

OK, stupid question... does it work? Do you get output on the console? The light will be amber for warnings.. like, only one power supply working, etc.
+1 , we need more info man.... if its red, then its generally bad.

and what does it say next to the light on the actual supervisor itself?

Its the status light that's amber after fully booting up. I wasnt able to access the CLI from its console port. I figure that I just need to pick up a 32mb stick of super special cisco ram for about a dollar a mb... That status lights of the 48port Ethernet module are green. I think the switch needs ram in this slot to function. Has anyone been able to remove their sup ram and find the switch still works? tia

Generally the dram slot is for expansion. You should have xMb of ram onboard the SUP.

Try hooking up you're console cable, then powering on the switch. Even if it didn't have enough ram to run the IOS that is loaded, you should still at least see the switch post, and get the output from console.

Generally, the switch would be stuck at post, or at least post to rommon.

No offense ment, but are you sure you have your console connection setup correctly? I.e. is the switch actually working, but your just not getting an output from the console port? Did you try hooking 2 devices up to it with stactic IP's?

Lots of things you could try to trouble shoot this.

I'll try watching for the post. I did hook up a 2610 just to make sure the connection was working, it works. But I'll watch for the post. It does have what looks like on board sdram, not a lot though. Thanks for your input.

Back