Cisco Catalyst 2950

Drunken_King

Weaksauce
My friend offered to sell me the switch above for 15 bucks. It still works, is that a good deal?

Yeah if you are studying for the CCNA that is a great deal if you are building a lab!

Do you know how to configure cisco switches?
If not, then you need to ask yourself is the money saved vs buying a netgear or something greater than the time you will need to put into it to learn how to make it work.

IF, you are trying to obtain a Cisco Cert, want to practice Cisco IOS - hell yeah that's a good price.
Just connecting PCs, whatever - nope.

Like all of Ciscos' equipment, all are Feature-rich. No desire to use them or at least some of them, constitutes Waste-of-money.

Yeah I'm learning how to use to obtain Cisco Cert, he has like 5 of them so I'd figure I'd take one. :p Thanks for the input. :)

If you specifically want cisco to learn, then yeah that's a good deal. Otherwise, keep in mind it's only 100mbps. Though honestly for that price I'd just take it, even if you don't use it for your core network, you can plug all your 100mbps devices into it and uplink it to a gigabit switch. Things like your printers, TV(s), HTPC don't need gigabit. Well, maybe htpc, but probably not.

I'm pretty sure with a default clean config it just acts as an unmanaged switch, basically all ports are active and part of one vlan. So if you don't want to be bothered with commands it should still work fine for that use.

If you're just going to use it as a basic switch, just get into global config mode (conf t) and do these commands in order:

Code:
interface range fastethernet 0/1 - 24
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
no shutdown

All ports will turn on and will not hang with the amber colored light waiting for BPDUs. By default they are all on VLAN 1

This assumes you get the switch at its default config

Back