Cisco Auto QoS VoIP w/ Non-Cisco Phones

IceWeasel

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I know this is possible, I'm just curious as what needs to be setup to make it work? The customer has Toshiba phones (not sure of the model).

I'm thinking making sure that the phone marks the DSCP/CoS values the same as a Cisco phone would, then it will work? Or is it more complex than that since CDP won't work? Perhaps I will have to do "auto qos voip trust"? (But then it's a security risk, not too mention, poor configuration)

A nearby school district has poor voice quality due to misconfigured QoS. The switches are 2960s, not sure what version of IOS. I'm going out there tomorrow to "fix" it, so if anyone has suggestions, please post them up tonight!

Much appreciated!

Alright, I know this is possible, I'm just curious as what needs to be setup to make it work? The customer has Toshiba phones (not sure of the model).

I'm thinking making sure that the phone marks the DSCP/CoS values the same as a Cisco phone would, then it will work? Or is it more complex than that since CDP won't work? Perhaps I will have to do "auto qos voip trust"? (But then it's a security risk, not too mention, poor configuration)

A nearby school district has poor voice quality due to misconfigured QoS. The switches are 2960s, not sure what version of IOS. I'm going out there tomorrow to "fix" it, so if anyone has suggestions, please post them up tonight!

Much appreciated!
Ice, DSCP/CoS are rfc standards...they will look identical throughout any of the vendors that support QoS. If the phone can mark traffic then you're going to want to trust it at the port and preserve the DSCP/CoS markings then queue it accordingly. You don't need CDP for something like this, CDP would only be required for things like Voice VLAN assignment for Cisco phones.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks xphil3 :) I figured you'd be my response, and it's much appreciated! That's all I needed to know!

well the problem ended up being that the phones cannot mark the traffic. they have to receive markings from a centralized box, so i had to force the phone ports to set the CoS to 5.

Back