Cisco ASA 5505 vs 5510

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
Tech specs for the non cisco experts:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html#~mid-range

I'm looking for opinions if I should save my money and get the 5510...

I have a decently fast connection:
1100201958.png

I'm thinking that 85k pps will be limiting my connection to nothing over 75mbit (64kbyte packets, but at 1500mtu this is different right?). 5505 costs about $350. 5510 costs just under $2000. Right now I have exchange directly connected to the internet :eek: and it seems every time windows update runs, it re-opens all the ports I close. So I could really use the cheap solution now, but not if nerfs my sweet connection. I've used 5510's at work, never used a 5505, tried sonicwalls, hate them. Linux iptables is nice, but I want something with uptime like I have at work:

IDCxxxx#sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(11)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sun 29-Sep-02 00:19 by ccai
Image text-base: 0x8000809C, data-base: 0x80A678D0

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

IDCxxxx uptime is 8 years, 3 weeks, 4 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes

:D

stuck on IOS? if you're willing to try JUNOS an SRX100 might be a good one to look at, outperforms the 5505 and is much cheaper than the 5510. SRX100 does 650Mbps (without IPS/IDS/VPN turned on)
I swapped out all my branch office routers with HA clusters of SRX100's over ASAs and I've been pretty happy with them.

My only prob with the srx100, I don't see SSL vpn support.
That's something I want, along with ipsec tunnels.

My only prob with the srx100, I don't see SSL vpn support.
That's something I want, along with ipsec tunnels.

they have the ability to do dynamic ssl vpn with additional licenses, at least my SRX-240's do, and pretty sure that works across the board

I also just noticed this on the $500 Dell deal: PowerConnect,J-SRX100S,8 Port,100Base-T, RJ-45,1GB RAM,20 User Limit [Included in Price]

I can't see any user limited version of their routers/firewalls on Juniper's site. Weird.

To me that says you haven't updated IOS in ages and it's severely outdated.

vology called me up today offering me some Juniper demo switches, might have to take them up on it sometime near the end of the quarter. I've bought a bunch of HP switches from them, but they're sure pushing me towards Juniper EX every time I talk to them, haha.

for what it's worth.. i'm buying a crap load of them this quarter.

i've been testing them since october, they're very capable switches. that says a lot coming from a sup720 or 4948 snob haha.

I did a prod test as my final test and it's already routed 1.1 TBytes of market data using PIM-SM/auto-rp from the vendor. Average latency is 3-4 micro. CPU is sleeping at 98% idle.

Bout the only thing I can say against them, they've had growing pains back in 9.x code. L3 ASIC table is a tad small, but manageable. Worst thing about it today is that it uses an ext2 file system, so there's file corruption potential on power loss since it's not journaled... i'm hoping they fix this.

Back