Cisco Airnet 1200 Access Point

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
I picked up a Airnet 1200 Access point on line. The guy I got it from said I didn't need the cable to connect to it via the console. I'm using a Cat 5 cable and I'm having issues accessing the console. Do I need the Serial cable or can it be accessed with a Cat 5 cable?

Also, what IP addy is used to access the console, maybe I'm using the wrong IP.

Thanks in advance.

yeah or he may have erased the config before he sold it and there is no ip configured in wich case you would need a console cable

[BB] Rick James said:
I picked up a Airnet 1200 Access point on line. The guy I got it from said I didn't need the cable to connect to it via the console. I'm using a Cat 5 cable and I'm having issues accessing the console. Do I need the Serial cable or can it be accessed with a Cat 5 cable?

Also, what IP addy is used to access the console, maybe I'm using the wrong IP.

Thanks in advance.

Console = Serial.. you need a DB9 to rj45 adapter or a cable that has the correct ends.. It's Serial not ethernet.. default is 9600 8 n 1 None

That looks to be the correct cable yes.

You will need to use Hyperterminal to access the AP. Select the appropriate COM port when you start the program and then when you get to the screen that asks you what speeds, stop bits etc... hit "Defaults" and click OK.

Zetro said:
That looks to be the correct cable yes.

You will need to use Hyperterminal to access the AP. Select the appropriate COM port when you start the program and then when you get to the screen that asks you what speeds, stop bits etc... hit "Defaults" and click OK.

Where can Hyperterminal be obtained?

Edit... Aw nevermind, I can just use Hyperterminal through windows then I'm assuming....http://www.eicon.com/support/helpweb/diva/hyperterminal.asp

unix_foo said:
Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Hyper Terminal

Settings:
BPS : 9600
DB : 8
Parity : N
SB : 1
FC : N

Cool man thanks. Appreciate the help.

[BB] Rick James said:
Cool man thanks. Appreciate the help.

now i think you can give it an ip address and it may have a web gui like the linksys routers, i know my cisco switches do it,

That AP does have a web gui that is quite good :)

To give it an IP is a little weird, here is the command structure:

*hit enter to bring up console in Hyperterminal*

Enable
Config T
Interface BVI 0/1 (it has been a bit, it may be 0/0)
Ip Address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0
Exit
Exit

That will set the web access to the specified IP address. Then you type in that address in a browser to get the web GUI. Also here are the default passwords for the web GUI:

User - cisco
Pass - cisco

Last but not least, when you type enable you may be prompted for a password. I have seen some do it by default some no. The default enable password is "admin".

I hope this helps!

I think it does that during boot process. You should get output on hyperterm indicating whats going on.

Back