Cisco 871

Hello,
I have a new Cisco 871 ethernet router. IOS version is 12.4 as I understand. I am able to configure, for the most part, passwords, clock settings and interfaces. However, I've come into trouble with changing the default ip address on FE0 to match the modem. I receive unable to change ip address in L2 link error message. I understand I need to put ip address and subnet mask in vlan1 and I was doing well until I put in command of "no shutdown" when I hit enter, I lost hyper-term connection and could not re-connect to router. I hope I'm not asking too much for I need help setting up this router and being sure I have all properly set to function appropriately and give most security allowable.

Thanks,

"% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links." will come up if you are trying to assign an IP address on a layer 2 interface or "switchport".

make fa0 part of vlan 1 (altho it should already be by default)

conf t
int fa 0
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 1
!
int vlan 1
ip add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
no shut

if that doesn't work post your "sh run"

Hi,

Thanks for the note.

I'm understanding the following commands to be entered:

router#config t
router(config)#interface fastethernet 0
router(config-if)#switchport mode
router(config-if)#access switchport
router(config-if)#access vlan 1
router(config-if)#exit
router(config)#interface vlan 1
router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 (for example)
router(config-if)#no shutdown
router(config-if)#exit
router(config)#exit
router#copy running-config startup-config

Do I have to enable nat? If so, do I enable nat on both the interface 4 port which is the wan interface and then to the interface 0 which is the lan port? or do I do this with the configured vlan 1 interface?

Thanks again,

Rick

On your WAN interface;
ip nat outside
On you vlan 1 inteface
ip nat inside

Hi,

I really appreciate your assistance and I think I have only one last set of questions.
Since my modem's ip address is 192.168.1.1 and I've set the wan interface to 192.168.1.2, should I set the lan interface-fa0 to 192.168.1.3 and the vlan1 to 192.168.1.4 or is the fa0 and vlan1 incorrect as I am thinking? What should I give the fa0 and vlan1 interfaces?

Thanks once again...

Back