Cisco 851w/871w and router-on-a-stick

s0ldier93

Limp Gawd
Can a Cisco 851w/871w router be used to in a router-on-a-stick setup with a Cisco switch?

I've heard that these routers have the CLI, so I guess I'm wondering if it at all limited or striped down.

The 8xx series are considered small office ISR's. The have most if not all of the features that you will get with a higher end device, just with less resources(obviously).

I used the 871 at my parents house for a long time, multiple VLAN's(routing on a stick), IPsec, QoS without a problem. There is a limitation with this line though, with the 87x series you are limited to 4 VLANs, and with the 85x you are limited to only 1 vlan:(.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6200/prod_qas0900aecd8028a982.html
Heres some more doc.

Thank you for the responses. I think I will go with the 871w for the extra VLANs and extra little things.

This router, other than actually being used in a nice little satellite internet network in Afghanistan, will be a part of my study lab along with a 2512, 2610, and a 1912 switch. More switches will be added later as this will be a shared lab.

Back