Cisco 5500

Airborne

n00b
I have two Cisco 5500's I have been tasked to place in my network to replace a handful of HP switches. There is nothing wrong with the HP switches, but the 5500's are considered better by management and so they will be put in the network.

The security team requires that these switches be upgraded to the latest IOS before being in production. One of the switches is using IOS 11.2. I have the most recent IOS and placed it in the flash, but it will not allow me to set it as active. Will not allow me to delete the old flash either.

Obviously these switches are unsupported by Cisco, which wouldn't be too bad if management didn't want these switches in the network within the next week. Anyone have a good resource on this older gear?

The second switch is still using CatOS, which I have never worked with, so I am saving this one for last.

Airborne said:
I have two Cisco 5500's I have been tasked to place in my network to replace a handful of HP switches. There is nothing wrong with the HP switches, but the 5500's are considered better by management and so they will be put in the network.

The security team requires that these switches be upgraded to the latest IOS before being in production. One of the switches is using IOS 11.2. I have the most recent IOS and placed it in the flash, but it will not allow me to set it as active. Will not allow me to delete the old flash either.

Obviously these switches are unsupported by Cisco, which wouldn't be too bad if management didn't want these switches in the network within the next week. Anyone have a good resource on this older gear?

The second switch is still using CatOS, which I have never worked with, so I am saving this one for last.

Again how much memory do they have? and also Might want to try Cisco's site they have some help desk lines that might help, or i could talk you threw it

Just a quick update to those who offered assistance. I had already grabbed docs from Cisco's site and am ashamed to report that my problems had to do with using flash: instead of bootflash:. My router experience was getting in the way...

Airborne said:
My router experience was getting in the way...
My life would be so much easier if Cisco would standardize the commands between IOS, PIX, and CAT. I can't count the number of times I have logged into a pix and typed sh ip ro and gotten the WTF is that response :p

spectrum said:
My life would be so much easier if Cisco would standardize the commands between IOS, PIX, and CAT. I can't count the number of times I have logged into a pix and typed sh ip ro and gotten the WTF is that response :p
LOL
If they did that they would take all the fun out of it all :p But i feal your pain, i am a Director of a Major Class B Network, with over 7000 nodes.. i feel your pain hehe

Back