Cisco 2924M XL Fiber Uplink?

Axeldoomeyer

Limp Gawd
I have 2 Cisco 2924M-XL Switches and each switch has a 2 port Fiber Module. I have never dealt with fiber so this is new to me. What I would like to do is connect the 2 switches via fiber. Is this possible? I know that normally I would use a crossover cable to connect port to port.

How do I go about connecting Switch to Switch via fiber.

TIA

IIRC 2924 have SC fiber ports.

So you would need this to connect your switches.

FDSC-FPC_LR.jpg

Ya I have one of those SC to SC fiber cable... When I plug it in I don't get any link lights. I am not sure what gives. Is there some configuration that needs to be don to get connectivity? I go to the interface and issue a no shut command and the interface comes up briefly then goes back down. I think I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help...

Also is the cable suppose to be a cross over? RX to TX and TX to RX?

You will need to flip the cable over on one end, thus making it into a cross-over.

Make sure all the connections are clean. A small bit of dust can cause the link to fail.

Also, does the switch show any errors, or other info about the interface?

Both modules appear to be OK. During boot the switch recognizes the modules. I can try to clean them with canned air and see what happens.

SYN ACK said:
you're not using single mode fiber , are you?

Yep... Does that matter? Do I need multimode fiber? I thought the only difference between single and multimode was the length between devices... Maybe I was wrong...

Like I said fiber is a whole new barrell of monkey's for me. :)

Axeldoomeyer said:
Yep... Does that matter? Do I need multimode fiber? I thought the only difference between single and multimode was the length between devices... Maybe I was wrong...

yes, that is the generalized usage difference, but they are like speaking French vs English; both sides (and cables in between) need to match or else you have issues. Multimode is higher bandwidth but shorter distances, and single-mode is longer distances but lower bandwidth.

Thanks for the info guys....

I am a little confused.. :confused: to say the least.

Do I need to be using multimode fiber to connect from switch to switch? I guess I don't understand is which is to be used, Single Mode or MultiMode?

I thought fiber was fiber, as long as the connections are the same that is all that matters... Sheesh I was wrong!

Hi,

what does a 'show interface' tell you after the port shuts itself down? It should theoretically tell you the reason as to why the link has dropped (eg, errdisable etc) - it could be a network loop or similar that is shutting the port down and not necessarily a cabling fault.

Axeldoomeyer said:
Do I need to be using multimode fiber to connect from switch to switch? I guess I don't understand is which is to be used, Single Mode or MultiMode?

You can use either MM or SM, but everything must match; MultiMode GBICs on both ends, and MultiMode fiber in between, or SM Gbics and SM fiber.

Fint said:
You can use either MM or SM, but everything must match; MultiMode GBICs on both ends, and MultiMode fiber in between, or SM Gbics and SM fiber.

From what I have read both of my FX modules are Multimode. That is why it is not working. :( But I have ordered a piece of multimode fiber to fix that.

Good thing this is just my lab... This could have been an expensive blunder/oversight on my part.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back