Cisco 2651XM or 3640

kr0sys

n00b
I've found myself with a not so obvious choice of whether to get a 2651XM or a 3640. I plan on buying a 4 or 8 port serial module along with several more serial wics to setup frame relay which will work in either model. I plan on adding one of these to a lab which I hope to be able to make use of when I tackle the CCNP after I complete the CCNA.

I currently have (6) 2611, (1) 2950T, (1) Catalyst 4003 (pretty much useless), and (3) 2924C-XL's.

One major difference is that the latest version (2) of the SDM is not supported on the 3640, but is supported on the 2651XM. I believe that both of these machines can use the 12.4 IOS. I'd rather use the CLI than the SDM, but the CCNA is looking for experience with the SDM. I'm not sure if the CCNP will bother with the SDM.

Any recommendations?

tia

I've found myself with a not so obvious choice of whether to get a 2651XM or a 3640. I plan on buying a 4 or 8 port serial module along with several more serial wics to setup frame relay which will work in either model. I plan on adding one of these to a lab which I hope to be able to make use of when I tackle the CCNP after I complete the CCNA.

I currently have (6) 2611, (1) 2950T, (1) Catalyst 4003 (pretty much useless), and (3) 2924C-XL's.

One major difference is that the latest version (2) of the SDM is not supported on the 3640, but is supported on the 2651XM. I believe that both of these machines can use the 12.4 IOS. I'd rather use the CLI than the SDM, but the CCNA is looking for experience with the SDM. I'm not sure if the CCNP will bother with the SDM.

Any recommendations?

tia

You might not like my recommendation, but ill give it anyways. All that equipment is pretty old, the 2611's that is(unless they're XM's). If you really want to build out a lab I would still recommend going with dynamips. You can virtualize every router that you would need, all the way through to the CCIE if you plan on going that route. Dump the routers, keep the switches and get some network cards and trunk dynamips to your switches.

Also, the CCNP tests pretty heavily on the SDM(unfortunately), especially on the ISCW and ONT. SDM 2.x fully supports the 3640 even though its not listed in the supported router list. You are correct that both of those routers can load 12.4IOS, but Idd stick with the 3640 as the price is substantially cheaper(then again, like I said... go with dynamips).

Back