Cisco 2651 throughput

devin_m

Limp Gawd
I plan on running a 2651 (non-XM) as the router on my home network and I'm wondering what kind of throughput people have gotten on it? I have a 100/5 connection and can reliably get 54-56/5, though my ISP is proclaiming network upgrades are on the way (heh I'll believe it when I see it).

*Edit*
Nevermind I found it, according to the document below the 2651 is capable of 18.95mbps which is probably an inflated ideal number on it's own so I'll have to look at something a bit more powerful.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Last edited:
As long as you are not using IOS firewall it will do 100/100 with firewalling not sure as even the 1841 would struggle.

Are you in the UK by any chance?

Last edited:
we have a 100/5 service here that never gives 100/5 due to "network upgrades" etc. :D

That Cisco PDF is based on 64 byte packets. In the past, I've used professional traffic generators a lot (Ixia, Spirent, BreakingPoint).

64 byte packets is the most stress that you can put on a router ... it's the smallest packet you can have, which drives up the packets/sec, which is what router performance is truly measured by. Though, 64 bytes is a bit unrealistic as there is no payload.

The 2651 should be able to do 1500 bytes ~400Mbps if it actually had gigabit interfaces. But again, most packets aren't always 1500 bytes. It should be able to do ~100Mbps with 200 byte packets. Well ... as long as you aren't running too many features.

You can calculate this by doing packets/sec from that sheet multiplied by average packet size. Generally, it will be lower than this because you will always have smaller packets in the mix (ACKs and such)

Back