Cisco 2621 at home

bobstone

Limp Gawd
what can I do with it, how would it compare to a Pfsense on a IBM x41t (1.6gig, 2 gig mem) with a PCMCIA 100mb NIC on the WAN side, gigabyte internal NIC on LAN side? ( I have Comcast 50/5 )

I want to use it to learn Cisco stuff but I am worried that it is to old to even work well on my home network?

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

If you want to learn Cisco command line then just use GNS3. I bought a CCNP rack long time ago. Once I started using GNS3 I stopped using my routers. All you really need is GNS3 and 2x 3550 and 2x 2950.

For CCNA, I would just use packet tracer. Everything that packet tracer can do is at the CCNA level. But for CCNP, you will to have to use either real equipment or GNS3. Packet tracer will not have the commands that you will need to learn for CCNP.

That 2621 won't handle 50/5. I'd be very surprised if you could hit 15-20 down with it.

thanks for the GNS3 info ElvisG, thanks for the info /usr/home. I will look in to GNS3 but I learn better if I need to work on it, like messing with my home setup then if I am just messing with a emulation. but from /usr/home's post I gather the 2621 wont get near cutting it in speed for me. What is the cheapest Cisco router that can handle 50/5 ( prefer it to handle up to 100 down in case i upgrade my internet ). I also have access to corporate leftovers so I should say the oldest Cisco router that can handle those speeds.

what are you intending to do with the router? basic NAT/PAT + some basic ACLs to control traffic?

1841 would probably handle that. not sure how capable the newer 881s and stuff are. a 1921 would give you 2x gig ports if you care about that.

well, couldn't say what I plan to do yet. I do not have any exp with Cisco routers, I would expect that I would mess with everything that the router could do. I have no real exp with networking (Pfsense and basic routers but nothing VPN or vlans and the more complex network stuff.)

my only requirement is that it will not bottleneck my network/internet. if it did that I would not use it and would not learn it good. ( this is just me wanting to mess with it. we use it at work for our clients but i currently don't handle that stuff. I am working on vmware cirts actively for my job, this would be a side project so I am not concerned about it to much.)

what are you intending to do with the router? basic NAT/PAT + some basic ACLs to control traffic?

1841 would probably handle that. not sure how capable the newer 881s and stuff are. a 1921 would give you 2x gig ports if you care about that.

negative ghost rider...........1841 tops out at 38Mbps and that is with nothing implemented, no ACLs routes just unfiltered nat.

If you want to know how all those Cisco routers perform (up to 2011) go here: http://networkequipment.net/2010/11/16/cisco-router-comparsion-of-new-models-speed/

If the OP wants hardware he'll need at least a 2811.

negative ghost rider...........1841 tops out at 38Mbps and that is with nothing implemented, no ACLs routes just unfiltered nat.

If you want to know how all those Cisco routers perform (up to 2011) go here: http://networkequipment.net/2010/11/16/cisco-router-comparsion-of-new-models-speed/

If the OP wants hardware he'll need at least a 2811.

We use an 1841 for our internet connection, 50mbps synchronous at&t fiber, and it handles 50mbps just fine. NAT only.

The 35mbps number you are referring to is with the smallest packet size for each packet. Obviously in real world that's not what happens so you can get more than 35mbps if only doing NAT.

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/gov/IPv6perf_wp1f.pdf

Last edited:
Back