Cisco 2514 question

Joony

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to use this with my cable internet :) Cisco power!

I picked up a 2514 and it only had 16mb dram and 8mb flash, It has 11 something IOS and I hear you need 12.x for NAT support along with DHCP address from ISP.

Is 8mb enough for IOS 12? I popped the top open and found two flash chips and it seems like there are two 4meg chips in there.

If so, any cheap sources for 16mb flash? or do I need two 8mb chips?

anyone got some extra flash memory laying around?

you should be able to fit up to a 12.0(7) - T train ios on that. YMMV depending on acutal train and realease fuction (ip, ip+firewall, ect). you can compress the ios to fit a new larger one but that will require more DRAM.

Or you could upgrade the RAM on the router and have any 12.x series for the 2500. The last time I looked at a 16/16 kit it ran about $70 on ebay. I would think that they'd dropped in price by now (almost 2 years later).

oakfan52 said:
you should be able to fit up to a 12.0(7) - T train ios on that. YMMV depending on acutal train and realease fuction (ip, ip+firewall, ect). you can compress the ios to fit a new larger one but that will require more DRAM.

Yes, but sadly it is 12.2(8)T that allows the router to pull a dynamic IP on the WAN port. (DHCP)

BobSutan said:
Or you could upgrade the RAM on the router and have any 12.x series for the 2500. The last time I looked at a 16/16 kit it ran about $70 on ebay. I would think that they'd dropped in price by now (almost 2 years later).

Yeah, that's about what I paid ~2 years ago for mine. You can probably find it for less now. You will need 16MB of flash to store the IOS you'd need to operate your router without a static IP address.

Of course, you'd have to pay Cisco for the IOS upgrade anyway (for an arm and a leg) unless you bought the router from an authorized dealer and it came with a service contract... which I kinda doubt.

There are other ways to aquire it though... *cough* PM *cough*

so this thing can also function as a firewall?

then what is the point of getting something like a PIX501 or something?

It can perform some basic firewall functions (depending on the IOS featureset), but a full-fledged firewall it is not.

Just take a look at the link above and compare it to the capabilities of a PIX. Huge differences in what they can do.

So the IOS firewall would be comparable (or better) than my Linksys router?

I would imagine the big part about PIX is VPN...

I'd think the IOS FW would be more robust than the Linksys products. But then again the Linksys devices are so much newer than the 2500's that the increase in hardware specs should allow for better encryption implementations. Meh, who knows? This is an interesting question you've posed.

I believe the 2514 has only one RAM stick. We put two 8M FLASH sticks in all of ours. Oddly enough, RAM isn't really a big issue for the most part, everything runs from FLASH.

If FLASH size is an issue, I think you can boot from a TFTP and run that way. Never tried it but I seem to recall that option. I could be wrong, it has been a long time since I played with a 2500. The base IP for 12.1.x is pretty much 8M so you may be out of luck.

We used a 2514 as a pre-firewall for our internet. It was the razor wire before the stone wall (PIX) that protected our internet presence and allowed us to deflect lots of attacks at the edge.

Now, we use a pair of 2651 routers in HSRP mode.

Back