Cisco 2503 and Catalyst 1900

ksanders2006

Limp Gawd
Wouldn't setting up my home network require two 2500 routers and a switch? I'm going to have 5 computers hooked up. I was thinking of buying these items off of ebay. Has anyone ever set this up?

only one router is needed

it is ridiculously easy

just create a vlan for the 5 computers and use dhcp from the switch

do not use auto sensing for the nics, set them specifically to 100/full, same with the ports on the switch

oooohh ok. I thought someone said that on the 2500 series you needed 2...ok That's what I'm gonna save up for.

Originally posted by ksanders2006
oooohh ok. I thought someone said that on the 2500 series you needed 2...ok That's what I'm gonna save up for.

It depends on the 2500 series you are using.

Some of them have 2 Serials, and one AUI (ethernet)

Some have 2 Serials and 1 Token Ring

Some have 1 serial and 2 AUI.

Originally posted by st4rk
only one router is needed

it is ridiculously easy

just create a vlan for the 5 computers and use dhcp from the switch

do not use auto sensing for the nics, set them specifically to 100/full, same with the ports on the switch

FYI, if you have trouble with duplex/speed mismatches, cisco recommends hard setting the speed on the switch while the clients should be set to auto-detect.

I dont know about the 2514...I'll check later.

The 2514 has two serial and two AUI ports. I use one as my router and it functions perfectly.

You can run it as a router on a stick, meaning one AUI port has two IP addresses. Using this method you can conenct your cable modem (or whatever) to your switch as well as the router. Then, give the one AUI port both your external IP and an internal one and route between the two. It's not usually used, but it is possible. You'd have to look up the details on it though as I've never done it and I'm not sure about the exact method.

As such (and since many of the 2500 series routers are cheap), most people buy two and chain them together. Then one router talks to the internet and the other to your network. You can connect the two using the seiral ports and a crossover serial cable (not sure of the exact Cisco name, but it's not a regular serial cable if that's what you're thinking).

FYI, if you have trouble with duplex/speed mismatches, cisco recommends hard setting the speed on the switch while the clients should be set to auto-detect.

I can back that up. I was having all sorts of problems with routing until I forced the port on my switch to 10mbit half duplex, then it worked like a charm. The rest of the ports on the switch can be left on auto-detect without any problems.

Finally, if you don't have a static IP address, you'll need IOS version 12.1 to pull an IP from your ISP (DHCP). If you have PPPoE through your ISP, you'll need 12.2. Both of these IOS versions require 16MB of flash RAM in your router.

Great Cisco FAQ on the [H]

It does say that you need two 2500 routers, but you can do it with one, just with a a lot more trouble, and generally less secure. I definately don't recommend it.

Ok....I may try to get a 2514 because of less hassle or just get 2503's when i get the money...ebay usually has kits on there

That's only a 10mbit switch. The 2900 series is 10/100.

It's up to you really. If you're planning on running your network using these as well, I suggest that you get a 2514 instead. It'll be a lot easier on you in the long run.

If it's for learning purposes, you'd probably be better off with two routers and a switch. Then you can connect the two together and emulate a CSU/DSU and various other connection types via the chained serial ports and various methods of encapsulation.

Of course, keep in mind that there are emulators out there that will run on your computer and act like Cisco products. That way you can learn the IOS commands and such without the purchase of the equipment. I'm not sure what the cost of said programs is, but it's probably cheaper than buying the equipment if cost is a factor.

Just a thought. Hopefully some others will chime in with their opinions.

I have the official cisco router/switch simulator...I just wanted morre hands-on experience...Wanted to stay ahead of the game if you know what I mean....For my home network I'mnot gonna use this equipment...I'm getting a Netgear router and a Zonet 16port switch from newegg.

Then I'd probably get two cheap routers (2501, 2503, etc) and a cheap switch and go to town.

Since money seems to be an issue, start with the routers (or jsut one). Also, I believe its a DCE to DTE cable to connect the two.

Originally posted by animeguru
Then I'd probably get two cheap routers (2501, 2503, etc) and a cheap switch and go to town.

Since money seems to be an issue, start with the routers (or jsut one). Also, I believe its a DCE to DTE cable to connect the two.

DTE/DCE Back-to-Back cables are a wonderful thing for home labs. That's not to say that you don't need to know DCE/MODEMs in the real world (but that's another issue entirely unto itself.)

HDLC Back-to-Back Config
http://tinyurl.com/d8ga

Frame-Relay Back-to-Back Configs
http://tinyurl.com/2nfaw

AUX Port Back-to-Back Config
http://tinyurl.com/d8gc

Back