Well it's been a crazy week for me thus far so I have not even had time to pick up the console cable and books.
Monday I hope to go to this computer recycler around the corner from me and see what he has laying around.
I am also in the process of setting up my computer lab at my other house. I would like to set up a site to site encrypted VPN between the 2 locations. I am under the impression the 1841 can do this on one end. If so can anyone recommend some options for the other end? Actually the location I am at now has a crap internet connection and a rather small network so the 1841 will probably be going with me and a lesser device installed here if possible.
Also unless I miss understood something while browsing the Cisco documents on the 1841, it seems to support an AIM's modual that would handle the VPN encryption? If so any idea what I would expect to pay for something like that?
Anyway it's all quite over kill for my “needs” I am sure but as soon as I get some free time next week the learning experience will start. Not to mention I love my toys. I suspect it wont be long before the rack I am installing at my new house ends up with a stack of Cisco equipment. I had been debating getting Cisco certs for over a year now and finally decided I am going to do it.
I do IT work for a few very small not for profit organizations and with some Cisco certs maybe I will feel comfortable taking on some larger jobs. I also know some people who have been telling me if I get my CCNA they will help me get a internship where they work so it may not be a total waste of time.
I just know that right now I have a lot to learn but at least I seem to have a place to start.
Monday I hope to go to this computer recycler around the corner from me and see what he has laying around.
I am also in the process of setting up my computer lab at my other house. I would like to set up a site to site encrypted VPN between the 2 locations. I am under the impression the 1841 can do this on one end. If so can anyone recommend some options for the other end? Actually the location I am at now has a crap internet connection and a rather small network so the 1841 will probably be going with me and a lesser device installed here if possible.
Also unless I miss understood something while browsing the Cisco documents on the 1841, it seems to support an AIM's modual that would handle the VPN encryption? If so any idea what I would expect to pay for something like that?
Anyway it's all quite over kill for my “needs” I am sure but as soon as I get some free time next week the learning experience will start. Not to mention I love my toys. I suspect it wont be long before the rack I am installing at my new house ends up with a stack of Cisco equipment. I had been debating getting Cisco certs for over a year now and finally decided I am going to do it.
I do IT work for a few very small not for profit organizations and with some Cisco certs maybe I will feel comfortable taking on some larger jobs. I also know some people who have been telling me if I get my CCNA they will help me get a internship where they work so it may not be a total waste of time.
I just know that right now I have a lot to learn but at least I seem to have a place to start.