Cisco 1811 & SDM

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
I am a new owner of a Cisco 1811, brand new. So im trying to follow this,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/cvo/1811-cvo.html#wp42182

But when i get to this,
272902.jpg

it won't continue, if i cancel this and not setup the WAN connection then log back into after it's rebooted i can see both lan's * both disabled * when i enable 0 it wont allow me to click add or do anything else to setup the WAN connection.

Any ideas ?

I did just find this,

http://www.xpresslearn.com/cisco/cisco-router-for-home-use

version 12.2
service timestamps debug datetime localtime
service timestamps log datetime localtime
service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default local
enable secret <secretpassword>
!
username admin password <adminpw>
clock timezone CST -6
ip subnet-zero
ip domain-name xpresslearn.int
!
ip dhcp pool home_lan
network 192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 192.168.200.1
dns-server <isp-dns-ip-1> isp-dns-ip-2>
!
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
description Attached to Cable Modem
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
!
interface Ethernet1
description Internal Network Default Gateway
ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
!
ip nat inside source list 100 interface Ethernet0 overload
ip classless
no ip http server
!
access-list 1 remark Allowed telnet management sources
access-list 1 permit 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.255 log
access-list 1 deny any log
access-list 100 remark Inside Source addresses for NAT Translation
access-list 100 deny ip any host 192.168.200.1
access-list 100 permit ip 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.255 any
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
access-class 1 in
!
ntp clock-period 17042421
ntp server 198.38.16.2
end

There you go use that instead. I can't say I ever cared about the SDM.

So I'll reset back to defaults, then log in with putty, then where do I paste it ? Do I enable first or ?

Enter it from global config - though pasting a config doesn't make you learn much if you don't know what's in the config.

Get into privledge mode by typing in enable from user mode. Then enter into global configuration mode by typing in config t

you can paste in that config by like Macco said, you wont learn much. Manually configuring your router, breaking it, and configuring it again is how you will learn. Also remember, the tab key to auto-complete commands and the "?" sans quotes is your friend. When your done with the config do a wr to write to memory and save the changes you made.

Good luck

Enter it from global config - though pasting a config doesn't make you learn much if you don't know what's in the config.

If you have a link or a document I can follow step for step I'm all ears and fingers, if you want to do it step for step on here I'm game too :)

Let me know, other wise, I lOg in with putty then go into confit mode then paste ?

Get into privledge mode by typing in enable from user mode. Then enter into global configuration mode by typing in config t

you can paste in that config by like Macco said, you wont learn much. Manually configuring your router, breaking it, and configuring it again is how you will learn. Also remember, the tab key to auto-complete commands and the "?" sans quotes is your friend. When your done with the config do a wr to write to memory and save the changes you made.

Good luck

Ill play with somethings and stuch,

I would assume i could build vlans and such things, and enable ports and create subnets etc etc and setup vpn on this unit. ?

not vlans, you can route them though.

Unless he has a switch laying around and he is trying to configure ROAS...lol. *shrugs*

lol @ GUI. I honestly never thought about looking at SDM until I was told it was a major part of CCNA Security. After I passed, I removed all things SDM from my brain..

Just use the CP Express option. The one you are choosing is for if your ISP has a configuration that they force you to use...

The SDM tool is slow and uses Java, it's easiest to just set it up 'the hard way' if you know what you're doing. But it your case, just set it up with that wizard. Later on you can learn Cisco IOS (it's not that complicated for a home router) from tutorials on the net (Cisco's on site has a ton).

not vlans, you can route them though.

He should be able to on a 1811 - it's a fixed config router with a built in 8 port 10/100 switch. Won't be able to setup VPN's on it unless he upgrades the license though.

He should be able to on a 1811 - it's a fixed config router with a built in 8 port 10/100 switch. Won't be able to setup VPN's on it unless he upgrades the license though.

" i have the 1811, to play with learn some vlans & cli, then after that i would like to buy a unit that i can have a vpn or 2.

Just use the CP Express option. The one you are choosing is for if your ISP has a configuration that they force you to use...

The SDM tool is slow and uses Java, it's easiest to just set it up 'the hard way' if you know what you're doing. But it your case, just set it up with that wizard. Later on you can learn Cisco IOS (it's not that complicated for a home router) from tutorials on the net (Cisco's on site has a ton).

Tried, didn't work, that's why i posted on here.

The reason the GUI stuff sucks and does not work is because nobody uses it so Cisco's priority for it is pretty low.

The reason the GUI stuff sucks and does not work is because nobody uses it so Cisco's priority for it is pretty low.

Alright :0 thanks,, i don't mind learning cli, because at work i have to do it anyways, the main reason im trying this at home is so when work ( phone support ) says you need to do this x and this xx and this xxx i will understand what they are getting me to do and understand what they are wanting me to accomplish.

Do you have a static or dynamic WAN address?
What LAN IP block do you want to use?

wan is dhcp, lan i would like 3-4 vlans with different ip's and rules for certain devices to talk across them but not others.

As with everyone else, I also recommend just hitting the CLI and going that way. Although what I have done that is always nice for some of the more advanced stuff is to set it up with the SDM, and then look and see what it has done.

The reason the SDM is probably not working for you may be because of your java version. I known when I tried using it a year ago, it gave me nothing but fits until I downgraded my Java. I think I ended up running Java 1.4.2(05) or something like that.

As with everyone else, I also recommend just hitting the CLI and going that way. Although what I have done that is always nice for some of the more advanced stuff is to set it up with the SDM, and then look and see what it has done.

The reason the SDM is probably not working for you may be because of your java version. I known when I tried using it a year ago, it gave me nothing but fits until I downgraded my Java. I think I ended up running Java 1.4.2(05) or something like that.

That's a good point, I'll update My java and re try.

I will gladly trade you a Dlink router for your 1811. Just plug in your modem and you are ready to rock!

Back