Cisco 1721 Config || Ultra Newb Question

Transition

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Real quick question on making a change on a Cisco 1721 router. I'm trying to set my logging server to resolve to a hostname.. So, instead of having....

logging 192.168.0.1

I want to have the logging goto 'syslog.daemon' which resolves to a local IP address. Problem is, when i ender logging syslog.daemon the IOS spits out the following message:

cisco(config)#logging syslog.daemon
Translating "syslog.daemon"
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I'm assuming i'm using incorrect syntax. What is the correct way to enter in a hostname?

Also, how do i remove a logging entry?

Any help is appreciated,

- Ultra Newb

You'll get that if it can't resolve that name... do you have DNS servers specified in the router's config?

RTIRouter(config)#logging syslog.daemon
^

RTIRouter(config)#logging foo.bar.com
Translating "foo.bar.com"
^

RTIRouter(config)#logging www.google.com
Translating "www.google.com"
^

RTIRouter(config)#^Z
RTIRouter#ping www.google.com
% Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

To removed an entry, just put 'no' in front of it (i.e., "no logging syslog.daemon")

Hi Flint,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately after a little more investigating it appears the DNS on the Cisco is not going to work for what we're trying to achieve. To my understanding, when you enter in a hostname the IOS it resolves the IP, then really never refreshes the DNS entry. This doesn't make any sense for our setup as the whole purpose behind using a hostname as opposed to static IP entry allows for us to update the DNS once as opposed to changing all seven routers IP entries.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I did remove the entries by using the commands supplied.

:)

Fint said:
You'll get that if it can't resolve that name... do you have DNS servers specified in the router's config?

RTIRouter(config)#logging syslog.daemon
^

RTIRouter(config)#logging foo.bar.com
Translating "foo.bar.com"
^

RTIRouter(config)#logging www.google.com
^

RTIRouter(config)#^Z
RTIRouter#ping www.google.com
% Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

To removed an entry, just put 'no' in front of it (i.e., "no logging syslog.daemon")

Back