Cisco 1200 Series Access Point

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
When I'm connected to my 1200 series AP, after a while it seems to throttle my connection down. For example, it goes from 54, to 36, to 11, to 6, to 1, if I'm not doing anything on the net.... When I am doing something on the net it kicks itself back up to 54....

Anyway to just keep the connection at 54MG all the time? My signal strength is always very good to excellent....

There is. do you configure your AP using http or through IOS commands?

I can't remember what the IOS commands are offhand, but I can tell you how to force a 54mbps connection through the web interface. I have the 1130AG, so they're similar.

When you're in the interface, click on Network Interfaces, then the one you want to work with. More than likely, it's Radio0-802.11G for you. Then up at the top, click on Settings. Then at the Data Rates, make sure they're ALL at Disabled, except the 54Mbps one, which should bre Required.

This will force an "All or nothing" style connection speed negotiation. If your AP can't negotiate with your NIC at 54Mbps, then it won't connect. A note of warning though, this could cause some intermittent connection issues once in a while if you don't have a reliable signal. :)

Back