Circularsaw + Lexan! pics

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey im wondering how those two go together? I want to cut lexan with a circular saw to get a streight cut will it be all cracked up?

anyone got pics?

(-SlaYa-)

I dont think a circular saw will make an accurate cut in anything, try finding a chop saw or a radial arm saw if you need to cut a large piece. My dad has a radial arm saw used for cutting out countertops and other large wood things; it makes wonderful cuts in acrylic: nice and straight and with no cracking or melting.

"Lexan" polycarbonate, or "plexiglass" acrylic?

"Lexan" polycarb will cut beautifully. If you want to try it on acrylic, put down a dropcloth and get some lexan while you're at the store the first time around.

i want to know this because i want to build my own cheap lil case and not spend $30 on another case, if i were going to spend $120 i would buy a nice case, sorry i didnt mention that earlier..

anyone know an online vendor for lexan, maybe colors too, for really cheap?

Heh. I'm making a case out of plastic. :p It's not going to have any large parts and reinforcement and load bearing sides. Softa like a unibody car. :p Easy to work with. I got a super sharp knife just for dealing with it. :p

I built my own case out of acrylic. I went to home depot with my dimensions and they cut the material on their glass cutter so all I had to do was carry it home and cut smaller holes.

Lexan WILL cut with a circular saw...ive done it...just take your time it will come ok, but you will tear the blade up.

Lexan (polycarbonate) cuts, drills very nicely, and will not break, but, it does have flaws. It does scratch easily, it is a real pain in the a$$ to bend also. It costs considerable more then acrylic, especially when you get above 1/4 thickness.
I work for a Plastic Fabricating company that makes pretty much anything out of plastic for retail stores. I even made my own desk out of 1 inch think acrylic, the entire desk was drawn up on cad drawing and run on a cnc machine. It probably would cost around $1,000 just to make it, but thats the perks for working there for me :).

If you want to use a circular saw to make the cuts, flip the blade over. Trust me on this one.

That would work, just melt the stuff away instead of tear it away. Plus it would sharpen the blade in the process :D

A circular saw will cut through any acrylic easily, providing you use a blade designed for that purpose.

Originally posted by Breeze
Lexan (polycarbonate) cuts, drills very nicely, and will not break, but, it does have flaws. It does scratch easily, it is a real pain in the a$$ to bend also. It costs considerable more then acrylic, especially when you get above 1/4 thickness.
I work for a Plastic Fabricating company that makes pretty much anything out of plastic for retail stores. I even made my own desk out of 1 inch think acrylic, the entire desk was drawn up on cad drawing and run on a cnc machine. It probably would cost around $1,000 just to make it, but thats the perks for working there for me :).

PICS DAMMIT!!!

Exactly right, the best blade to use is a cheap plywood blade turned backwards as quoted :cool:

Originally posted by beamrider
If you want to use a circular saw to make the cuts, flip the blade over. Trust me on this one.

Originally posted by Breeze

PICS!

What do you mean by flip it over / backwards? Do you mean put it on revered to what it should be or what?

Originally posted by Gunpowderboy
What do you mean by flip it over / backwards? Do you mean put it on revered to what it should be or what?

Yes, turn it around so the teeth won't bite. :)

Put the blade on so that the writing on the blade faces to the body of the saw. This will have the tips of the blade turned backwards and will make a clean cut in plastics and vinyls without chipping or cracking the stock.

or like was posted earlier figure out your dimensions and take them to the store. Any reputable hardware store, ie lowe's menards, home depot, will cut plexi and lexan to your dimesions. They are set up perfectly for it, and do it all the time. It depends on how many cuts if they'll charge you but even if they charge you it's not expensive by any means, cheaper than a new blade. they may not cut sharp curves or anything that the material won't do easily though.

what about something that has no real teeth, IE a diamond blade or mason blades

Originally posted by slaya
Hey im wondering how those two go together? I want to cut lexan with a circular saw to get a streight cut will it be all cracked up?

anyone got pics?

(-SlaYa-)

What RPM are you running your saw at such that it cuts the lexan without melting it too much? I've tried using a dremel and it either doesn't cut it, or cuts and melts right through like butter.

Hrmm I will prolly just ask HomeDepot to cut it for me :)

Thanks for all the replys everyone.

-(SlaYa)-

Back