• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chugging along at 1x AGP

N_Raged

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
446
Everywhere I look these days I see graphics cards with a minimum supported AGP speed of 2x or 4x. But I have an ancient AMD Irongate 751 chipset that doesn't want to go higher than 1x AGP due to chipset integrity issues. I can force 2x AGP but then I'll get artifacts.

What would happen if I were to stick one of the newer generation cards (Radeon 9550 and above) that are advertised with a minimum AGP rate of 2x or 4x into my rig? My friend told me that the card would blow up heheh... I'm casual gamer hoping to improve my R63:Raven Shield/UT2003+ experience and hopefully get into HL2. As for my gfx card budget I'd say no more than $200 CDN and as close to $100 as possible :rolleyes: .

My setup:
~856 MHz Athlon SlotA
Asus K7M mobo
384MB PC100
Asus GF2MX400 64MB (@ 200/182)
Antec SL350S PSU
 
Most likely your chipset is using the older higher volatage agp and it would damage the card when you put it in. Newer cards need to have a motherboard that is agp 3.0 I believe. That specification relates to the power/voltage and the placement of the sockets and surrounding component clearance.
 
If memory serves me right the agp 1.0 spec will have a card with three sections where it interfaces with the agp slot. It may be possible to use a 9700 in your board but it also may not deliver enough power to the card and this may the fatal problem with your upgrading Idea. Even if the volatge signaling can match a modern cards needs you may not have enough wattage to run the card, especially one of the newer cards that needs a second power source. It is difficult to find a older motherboards wattage specs for the apg socket because your board is old enough that Asus may not have web based support faq's with it's specifications.
 
If your chipset is AMD 751 Iron Gate my brother has the same in a Gigabyte board with a 950 mhz processor and his computer would not boot with my 9800, 9700,or 8500 Radeon series. He did however get a Gefore 4mx to run a worthy and cheap upgrade that would help your present needs. However not able to run HL2 very well if at all mostlikely.
 
hmm, looks like there's no hope for this computer. Thanks for your insight MLF. What about the GF4ti series?
 
You're severely limited when using a 1x/2x card; not to mention that anything running in that old board is probably going to have problems keeping something as modern as a GF4Ti happy.
 
Back
Top