Chromium? What the hell is this...

Entilza

Limp Gawd
What is this Chromium crap? It's everywhere and I can't even uninstall it... Where is it coming from?

I am about to do the manual file deletion and manual registry removal...

Hi All

Chromium is the open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code.

If there was ever a time when Google was genuinely the best answer to a question, welp, here we are.

Reactions: pxc
like this
It's sneaking it's way into my computers without me installing it, and now being used randomly. Very strange.

Ok there was some entry in my registry "run" key that was launching it on boot which was the annoying factor.

I've now deleted all "Chromium" registry keys, and manually removed the program, problem solved.. for now :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got some malware someplace because Chromium requires an actual installation just like Chrome does - it's difficult to find it in "ready to go" form meaning that when you wish to install Chromium or Chrome itself you end up using a stub installer: a tiny executable only a few hundred kilobytes in size that contacts Google and then downloads the necessary files required so it's sorta-kinda a "live" install and not a prepackaged one.

If you're having it sneaking in somehow on multiple computers, you've got something going on in the background you seem to not be aware of so, run some AV and malware scans soon. I'd suggest using TrendMicro HouseCall and ESET Online Scanner - both services use a stub installer as well you grab, execute, then they run locally after downloading the most current AV/malware signatures then run a system scan (full or custom as you can select either) and will alert you to possible issues.

Can't hurt to check even if you're current using some AV/malware software already.

And of course this is under the presumption that you're running Windows 'cause if it's Linux you've got some more serious issues if stuff is just sneakin' in. ;)

It was prolly bundled in some free ware the OP downloaded and didn't notice the little checkbox that added it.

Hi All

Chromium is the open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code.

Nope, the Chromium he is referring too is a malware type of infection, not the browser you are speaking of.

Edit: Just run adwcleaner and you will be fine. However, learn to remove things manually along with the scans and you will be much better off.

Nope, the Chromium he is referring too is a malware type of infection, not the browser you are speaking of.

Edit: Just run adwcleaner and you will be fine. However, learn to remove things manually along with the scans and you will be much better off.

Hi All

Never heard of it as Malware. As a Linux user, Chromium is the browser I use. Thanks for the heads up.

Back