ChromeOS in a domain/internal network only environment?

We're currently deploying about 250 or so systems based off the Intel NUC (and a few of Gigabyte's offerings, until the supplier ran out). These are used in a Windows domain, but are essentially being used as kiosk machines, with only access to a few applications outside of Chrome.

Unfortunately, they costs 3x the amount (after license, RAM, and SSD) as a Chromebox, so I've been tasked into looking into the feasibility of deploying them in a work environment. I guess that's what I get for saying that I was going to buy a ChromeBook for home use.

It appears there are adequate extensions (an SSH or Telnet client, as Putty is in use, an AS/400 client) to handle the apps that aren't web-based.

I don't think we're too worried about file shares on the network, as they're not in use. And we probably wouldn't need to lock things down nearly as much as we currently are.

However, there are a couple questions I had, and if anyone can answer, great. If it needs to be moved, fine. If this is an exercise in futility, I won't be at all surprised.

1. Are there any tools out there for administrating ChromeOS devices? I know we have things to manage our Android devices.

2. Can ChromeOS devices run in such a way as to allow them only to connect to an intanet, with internet access denied? We currently have a domain policy in place to force this, but could also potentially handle it through our WAPs, using a key that would prevent internet access.

Last edited:
In my chromebook, I can use ctrl-alt-t to get a "shell" (limited) and then run ssh. No issues there. It is built in.

I believe you can also use rdp in a chromebook.

1) Not sure on this, but these are popular in education so I'd say "probably". need to google.
On the other hand, what do you want to do exactly? Almost all the data is stored "in the cloud" so the laptops should be easily swapable. They don't have a traditional bios exposed by default (AND IIRC there is no bios to get into),

2) Haven't tried, but this should be doable. The problem is authentication as I'm 90% sure the login authenticates against googles servers.

Back